What's the BEST cichlid food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was reading the ingredients on my cichlid food and the first ingredients are corn and gluten stuff. I googled good cichlids foods but everything that came up I've never heard of or seen it for sale, maybe it's only available in the US. So what are the BEST ingredients that I should be looking for when I buy cichlid food? I have African cichlids (Mbuna and Peacocks) I want the best health for my babies :).

NLS Thera A would be a popular vote amongst cichlid keepers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The ones they eat? I've bought some of the popular, "best" brands and my cichlids won't touch them

The ones they eat? I've bought some of the popular, "best" brands and my cichlids won't touch them

They are like children when given the choice between what is best for them and what tastes good they're always going to pick garbage...

NLS Thera A along with Spirulina 20 are the only foods I use now. Repashy comes close but it's kind of a pain but has it's place.

This link may help explain what the best ingredients are and what to look for;
Fish Food Ingredients
After the info in link there are categories 6 star through 1 star(6 being best) of some common brand foods and how they rate...

I would feel remiss if I failed to include all info after HUKIT has replied...
:facepalm:(y):dance:
Long and short is a BIG +1 for NLS.
Spirulina is a great food and '20'(zoo med) in particular a very good brand....

Fish Food Ingredients
After the info in link there are categories 6 star through 1 star(6 being best) of some common brand foods and how they rate...

Ah your posts always make me feel and warm and fuzzy inside Tom, LOL!

http://i1.wp.com/happyorhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/garth-ropes1.jpg

Last edited:
Lmao the first thing I see when I went on here was some blonde man talking about climbing ropes ????
Anyways, I've been to 7 different pet stores and I've never seen that NLS stuff for sale. Do you guys order it online?
Ps thanks for all the replies ?

Fish Food Ingredients

Thank you sooo much for the link! I just spent the last hour reading it and I've learned ALLOT about what I feed my fish! Thanks

I prefer NLS cichlid formula over thera A, since it has no garlic.

None of my fish foods contain garlic but isn't it good for their immune system? I give my cichlids garlic once every 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used nls Thera a+ with good results. I also feed Hikari (gold only) pellets and omega one cichlid flakes. Occasional bbs for cichlids not prone to bloat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use NLS pellets and omega one flakes for my cichlids. It can take some convincing for them to eat a new food but if you let them go hungry for a day or two they'll come around and eat whatever you put in the tank for the most part. You definitely don't want corn or grain to be the first ingredient in your food though as a general rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, it's questionably beneficial for their immune system and BAD for their liver and heart! It's snake oil, basically.

Show me proof of that statement please. You can't make a statement like that and not post some sort of proof, otherwise it's Internet garbadge being regurgitated over and over on aquarium forums.

Back
Top Bottom