Whats the difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pckerfreak44 said:
What is the difference between new world and old world cichlids? And what are some examples of some? Just curious

New World=the Americas.
Old World=everywhere else. Including Africa and Asia for the most part.

Now I have a question, what are fish from Australia considered?

I didn't know there were any cichlids from America... There's so many groups I'm so lost. Lake mawila or something mbuna south American African. There's just to many haha

The main difference between the groups is the Ph range which they can survive at, American Cichlids tend to prefer lower Ph and the African higher, so in most cases not compatible with each other.

Most African cichlids are to vicious to go with south America cichlids except maybe the larger ones and if you had the ph at 7 some may go together

There's a ton of differences between old and new world, water conditions, diet, and more. A simple Google search can tell you this though.

Billw said:
Most African cichlids are to vicious to go with south America cichlids except maybe the larger ones and if you had the ph at 7 some may go together

I don't believe that African Cichlids as a whole are any more vicious than New World. Ie: convicts, red terrors, red devils and jack dempseys. In my Lake Tanganyika tank i don't have overt aggression but only when something is viewed as food or territory. With some African from Lake Malawi I have found they sometimes are just aggressive towards other fish who have their same shape. I know there's a word for this. Now convicts I have found them just to be straight out thugs and forget about it if they are trying to breed or establish a territory. I believe the biggest issue is PH and Diet.

Back
Top Bottom