Which dwarf cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heinrich Lourens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi cichlid experts!

I currently have a 60 Gallon tank with a mix of fish that are labelled as nippy and semi- agressive but they all get along VERY well. These include a Three spot Gourami, Rainbow Shark, Tiger barbs, Tetras and cories.

I REALLY REALLY want a small dwarf cichlid. My favourite is the German Blue Ram but I'm scared of them apparently being very sensative. I also really like Kribensis but people I know who keep rare fish say they are not very hardy. I'm also very fond of Bolivian Rams.

Out water here is medium hard and has a relatively high PH at around 8 give or take 0.2

I'm not gonna alter those parameters as all my fish look happy.

Every time I add fish people tell me it won't work and they will fight, but the fact is, my fish get along very well. The only real aggression I ever get is from the shark at feeding time, the rest of the time things are very calm.

Thanks in advance

Kribensis are very hardy, just breed like rabbits and their fry aren't worth much. IMO any of these dwarfs would work well. I'd look into kribs they can be very rewarding if your not looking to make a buck.

Kribensis are very hardy, just breed like rabbits and their fry aren't worth much. IMO any of these dwarfs would work well. I'd look into kribs they can be very rewarding if your not looking to make a buck.

Thanks for the info! I'm not currently looking to breed them but if I had an extra tank I definately would! I hear their great parents. :)

I have both Bolivian rams and Kribs in my community tank and have had no issues with either. My preference would be the Bolivians I think they have more personality. Here are my Bolivians and my Kribs.

Attachments

• image-4294808519.jpg
    image-4294808519.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2616282611.jpg
    image-2616282611.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 84
German blue rams all the way :)

This is my girl, shes awesome and the funniest little gal in the tank!
84922-albums13402-picture64285.jpg

From what I've read the main problem with blue Rams are when they are first introduced to the tank. My tank has been running with no issues for 2 months. Had a brief scare of ich on one fish but got it sorted in about 4 or 5 days.

I'll wait for a bit since I've just introduced two albino cories.

Thanks for all the responses!

From what I've read the main problem with blue Rams are when they are first introduced to the tank. My tank has been running with no issues for 2 months. Had a brief scare of ich on one fish but got it sorted in about 4 or 5 days.

I'll wait for a bit since I've just introduced two albino cories.

Thanks for all the responses!
I had no issues with mine, she was really active and coloured up almost immediately. However, she does get stressed easily because of her timid nature (water changes scare her to death) but otherwise shes great! If you have plants and stuff they enjoy that!:ROFLMAO:

Yes I'm slowly converting to planted. I've split the tank in 2 with a "reef" like structure on one side with loads of caves and holes and on the other side plants and bogwood.

Agreed only fish it didn't help was my pleco, it actually made it get much darker but still wouldn't go with anything else

My vote would be for the german blue rams. But then again I'm a little biased... and they're the only ram I have had... (for 2 weeks) :p

86602-albums13553-picture64147.jpg

TCC won't steer you wrong though.

Nice rams. Did you buy them from an LFS or get them online? Going to order some more rams and want to buy the best ones.

I got them from my LFS; he gets his GBR's from local breeders. They had already paired up in his show tank and both had the best colors in there. Felt really lucky to be able to get them.

No issues at all. Had their color back after a couple hours. Ate that night. And stayed very active checking out all the little hiding places.

The thing is, a lot of German Blue Rams die from stress. I'm not saying the fish in your tank will be aggressive and nippy, but if they do if most certainly stress the rams and maybe kill them. That being said, I agree with TCC on the kribs. I have a pair and they don't take crap off of nobody. They are both very beautiful in their mating colors too.

Stress and nitrates are the killers of rams. If your tank isn't stress free and if you can't keep your nitrates under if say 15ppm I wouldn't do rams.

Back
Top Bottom