Which Rams do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffergirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have 3 Bolivian Rams and just this week saw a tank of German Blue Rams in one of the LFS. I love my bolivians!, but did notice that the germans had more different and vibrant colorings. Which are harder to keep and which do most of you prefer?

Which LFS?!?!
I just pick up a proven breeding pair of Germans at Tanks A Lot and last week, I picked up to pairs of wild caught bolivians (I think that's what they were). Anyway, I love them all!

Around here the Germans are not terribly hardy (except there are some locally bred ones that are reliable) so I generally prefer Bolivians, but I like the colors better on the Germans. I don't care for the "long finned" variety I have been seeing lately.

I bought a blue ram, AKA German, a little over a month ago. I love the fish but worry about him every day. He doesn't act well at all. Great coloring, but little to no movement. I've read that they are nocturnal, but still would like to see him eat. The LFS suggested more than 4 in a group, but I've read that solos and pairs do fine.

I love the colors he has. I've been wanting to get some dwarf cichlids for a while but they are far and few in between at our LFS.

I was so happy that tanks had a breeding pair last time I was there. I watched them for a while so that I could see minor differences between the sexes. I was so happy that I was able to confirm that I have 2 male and 2 female german rams. I got home and my one female looked stressed out / bloated. I went and grabbed some pea's. She wasn't interested. I had to go eat dinner. When I got back she was dead in her favorite spot.

Now I have 2 males and 1 female.

I am really bummed out about the female but I highly recomend these fish. They are so colorful and active.

moooose

Mine will eat peas. Also try some frozen foods, such as blood worms--that should get yours moving! Believe me, mine don't just sit around when it's feeding time!

I didn't like hearing the last part. Mine sits. I tried mosquito larvae but that didn't wake him up. I think my nitrate kit isn't reading true since it's two years old. Will get a new test kit soon. How many do you have in the tank?

Which tank?!? :wink: My little unknown ram in the 50 gal community gets around just fine (I used to have two :(, but this little guy is soldiering on). I have four in a 10 gal tank and they are being treated for ich, but if food is offerred, they are there!

Yeah he's not looking very good. Feeding time comes and goes and he doesn't eat. I dropped mosquito larvae litterally on top of him and he didn't try to eat. I've seen him swimming at 45 degree tilt recently.

QT tank is not set up do to renovation. :( The best I could do for QT is a bucket with an air stone?

I started a couple different threads in the unhealthy fish section over the last few weeks and haven't received many comments.

when my fish are not eating I use garlic to stimulate their appatite. I'v never had rams, but it works well with all fresh and salt fish. (gets rid of parasites also! made the ich drop right off my yellow tang! the stuff is unbelievable)

Back
Top Bottom