Why do I have seisures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krutchh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone identify my blue african? I think he's a male. Every once and a while I'll catch him shaking and he turns pale temporarily. Is this a parasite? no one else does it in the tank.

Attachments

• image-557260869.jpg
    image-557260869.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 81
It's possibly doing a shimmy or a 'display', basically advertising it's dominance, an activity that many mbuna's will do, especially top-tier males.

Some mbuna's will follow up a shimmy with a charge (or attack) directed at rivals or may commence breeding with a receptive female. The display (which appears seizure-like) demonstrates the cichlid's vibrance and vitality. The movements broadcast waves which other mbuna's in the vicinity can detect, and I think I recall they also release (and fan) pheromones. They will also fan out their fins as they do it.

Hey thanks for the reply. That's awesome I'm glad he's not sick. In fact, this gives my tank a whole new dimension. Looking forward to seeing it again and what his follow up move is.

thats good to know cause i have fish that do this... i kinda figured it was something of this sort and not seizures but now i know for certain...

if he does his shake in full view, and others tend to move away its dominance. he may break out in a kind of high speed merry-go-round or just a chase, with another fish if they are fighting for pack order.

if he's doing it (usually in a cave) and another one is doing a kind of T movement (one fish sideways to the other) its more than likely breeding.

fast forward to 1min mark:

Planet Earth - Fresh Water - Malawi part - YouTube

this video is awesome thanks for the link. those crater breeding beds are so advanced. pretty rad.

Back
Top Bottom