16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
That's my technique. Some difficult to keep fish will only survive if fed like this. After buying a cleaner wrasse years back I knew he needed lots of multiple feedings. After he was trained to accept prepared foods he lived for about four years but I noticed my other two fish, a clown and a goby were in much better health compared to the once daily feeding they had been getting before that. I had read about the natural feeding habits of reef fish which was basically continuous grazing. Three feedings isn't the same as that, but it's closer to what fish have in nature. Again, I don't feed a lot, just often. Many fish do just fine on daily feedings so the choice on how often to feed comes down to the types of fish. I still believe that fish stay healthier on more feedings.

I would survive just fine on a single meal a day or even on one feeding every other day. Most people eat three times and snack in between. It's our nature. Fish, by nature, eat far more often, almost continuously while awake. Knowing that, I don't consider three daily feedings excessive. Again, the idea is much less food given more often. I also think that other feeding programs aren't wrong. Whatever works out best for the fish, the tank's water quality, and the person doing the work is fine. Everybody seems to have a different experience about what works for them. As long as it works out it's fine. The biggest danger is overfeeding. I still believe that I underfeed.

Yeah well I think id rather underfeed then overfeed lol well I'll just continue with the frozen stuff and flakes a few times a day, Maybe cut the cubes into smaller pieces. :)

DanS180 said:
Yeah well I think id rather underfeed then overfeed lol well I'll just continue with the frozen stuff and flakes a few times a day, Maybe cut the cubes into smaller pieces. :)

Are you straining your cubes? Could cut the nutrients being added by almost half imo

Take a small amount of water to thaw the shrimp then dump it out into a net and pour a little Ro/Di over it which will get rid of all that soupy stuff you see come off the cubes when you drop it in which is pretty much high octane ammonia haha

Mrc8858 said:
Take a small amount of water to thaw the shrimp then dump it out into a net and pour a little Ro/Di over it which will get rid of all that soupy stuff you see come off the cubes when you drop it in which is pretty much high octane ammonia haha

Ahh I see.. okay I'll give it a try lol thanks!

I think its time I put my heater back in my tank.. now that its not warm out anymore, my tank has been dropping to 76°... think that's okay or should I put the heater in n set it to 78°?

Anyone wanna hop onto my other thread and help me out? Doesn't seem like anyone wants to for some reason :/ lol

So hopefully tomorrow im gonna do a water change with reef crystals.. hoping to bring up my calcium a little and hoping the phosguard I threw in the filter brings the phosphates down...

And wow that's a lot of "hoping" haha

Well I didn't get to do my water change.. had to take my cat to the animal hospital bc she had something goin on with her eye :/ cost me $150. ::eek:uch::

But I'm pretty sure I'm developing A LOT of coralline algae now.. what color is it particularly?

DanS180 said:
Well I didn't get to do my water change.. had to take my cat to the animal hospital bc she had something goin on with her eye :/ cost me $150. ::eek:uch::

But I'm pretty sure I'm developing A LOT of coralline algae now.. what color is it particularly?

Poor kitty! Yeah, spending money at the vet hurts. Had to spend $120 on my one of dogs at vet yesterday. :( there's actually several different colors of coralline. What color's yours?

Beengirl said:
Poor kitty! Yeah, spending money at the vet hurts. Had to spend $120 on my one of dogs at vet yesterday. :( there's actually several different colors of coralline. What color's yours?

Mine looks like green, purple and some pink :)

Is it possible for Calcium to raise on its own? Or did I just do the test the wrong way the first time? Lol first time I did it(which was a lil over a week ago) it was 380 mg/L, just tested again just now and it was 460 mg/L. Haven't done anything to the tank except put that phosguard in the filter n which my phosphates are still at .25ppm, haven't dropped at all.

Could've been the test. I never see it rise on it's own but people have had that odd test behavior happen. Did your nitrate levels change as well?

CorallineAlgae said:
Could've been the test. I never see it rise on it's own but people have had that odd test behavior happen. Did your nitrate levels change as well?

No everything else was the same except for calcium. Nitrates are still at 5ppm

Not sure if the picture showed up or not but does anyone know what this is?? Lil white ball on my rock right in the center??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121008_201848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121008_201848.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20121008_202059.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121008_202059.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20121008_202124.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121008_202124.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
DanS180 said:
Not sure if the picture showed up or not but does anyone know what this is?? Lil white ball on my rock right in the center??

It looks like a sponge. If it is it's a great sign (filter feeders). They usually do best if they're not directly under the lights (non photosynthetic). Once you see one or two it usually means there are more on the back of the live rock.

CorallineAlgae said:
It looks like a sponge. If it is it's a great sign (filter feeders). They usually do best if they're not directly under the lights (non photosynthetic). Once you see one or two it usually means there are more on the back of the live rock.

What do they do?? And I only see the one so far.. he's wedged himself in a crevice lol

DanS180 said:
What do they do?? And I only see the one so far.. he's wedged himself in a crevice lol

They just filter feed. I once built a 400 gallon sump with a cryptic zone to culture them. They're mostly just cool to have and add to the diversity of beneficial life in the tank. It takes a while for them to spread around. The long protrusion is part of it's respiratory system that moves water through it's surface into it's body. That way it takes out small organic particulates from the water column to feed. Kinda cool!

Back
Top Bottom