16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
They just filter feed. I once built a 400 gallon sump with a cryptic zone to culture them. They're mostly just cool to have and add to the diversity of beneficial life in the tank. It takes a while for them to spread around. The long protrusion is part of it's respiratory system that moves water through it's surface into it's body. That way it takes out small organic particulates from the water column to feed. Kinda cool!

Oh pretty cool, as long as its not harming my tank I could careless what's in there! Lol :) glad my tanks coming along just fine

Sponges are difficult to keep alive in an aquarium, so if yours is doing well-even if you didn't put it there, that's a great sign!! :)

Beengirl said:
Sponges are difficult to keep alive in an aquarium, so if yours is doing well-even if you didn't put it there, that's a great sign!! :)

Awesome! Yeah I've only noticed it there for a few days now so I guess we'll c how long it lasts lol

If it does start to turn dark or black, take it out so it doesn't raise ammonia.

They should stay closely together most of the time but the only sure way to know is eggs :)

Mrc8858 said:
They should stay closely together most of the time but the only sure way to know is eggs :)

Ohh okay, I was just curious, mine are side by side all the time but no eggs or anything lol

Just looking at my tank and I found a lil baby snail making it's way across the glass! Lol pretty neat... ridiculously tough to get a picture of but neat lol

Anyone know what this stuff is around the base of my Marshall island hammer???

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121015_085948.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121015_085948.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20121015_085942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121015_085942.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 88
Lol I dunno, it wasn't there a few days ago so its something that def just grew there. I just hope its nothing bad

Are you talking about the red thing at the bottom? It almost looks like a mushroom or plate coral lol

Mrc8858 said:
Are you talking about the red thing at the bottom? It almost looks like a mushroom or plate coral lol

No. That's the disk the coral came on lol on top of the disk right below the hammer is what im talking about lol

So you're saying it could be another coral growing on the disk? How is that even possible? Lol guess ill keep an eye on it

DanS180 said:
So you're saying it could be another coral growing on the disk? How is that even possible? Lol guess ill keep an eye on it

It's possible. More likely a sponge but you never know

DanS180 said:

It looks more like a coral than a sponge to me. One way to check is to look at it at night. If it's a LPS it should deflate at night and even extend small tentacles. If it's a sponge you should see tiny holes in the surface. That kind of detail is to hard to see from the pic but you should be able to find them.

CorallineAlgae said:
It looks more like a coral than a sponge to me. One way to check is to look at it at night. If it's a LPS it should deflate at night and even extend small tentacles. If it's a sponge you should see tiny holes in the surface. That kind of detail is to hard to see from the pic but you should be able to find them.

Well I'm looking at it now and it looks like tiny holes are all over it.. they're not harmful right?

Back
Top Bottom