16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A BIG thank you to CorallineAlgae for helping me with this modification! Turned out great!

Here's the top

ForumRunner_20130218_120420.jpg

The air pump I used for adjustable flow

ForumRunner_20130218_120424.jpg

The check valve

ForumRunner_20130218_120435.jpg

Already creating more bubbles than the stock venturi did

ForumRunner_20130218_120444.jpg

Nice work! Should skim way better and be a hell of a lot quieter. Another advantage is increased water flow through the filter. The stock venturi line uses the filter pump mix the air and water which reduces flow. This is definitely a win win.

Nice work! Should skim way better and be a hell of a lot quieter. Another advantage is increased water flow through the filter. The stock venturi line uses the filter pump mix the air and water which reduces flow. This is definitely a win win.

Thanks! I'm loving it already, a million times quieter!! And plus I put new filter pads in so it definitely has better flow haha AND hardly any better micro bubbles in my tank too. :)

So how often should I change my bulbs out on a T5? They've been the original ones for about 6 months.

So how often should I change my bulbs out on a T5? They've been the original ones for about 6 months.

9 to 12 months. Go with ATI. And of those are factory ones u might want to do it when u can

DanS180 said:
Yeah they're original lights. Now mines at Odyssea fixture. Can I put stronger wattage bulbs in the fixture or no?

The fixture can only run the same watt bulbs it came with. ATI or Gisseman (sp?) bulbs would be a big light quality upgrade.
Most people don't keep the factory lamps for long. Odyssea bulbs are ultra low end. They will grow stuff but don't stay reliable for long (personal experience).

The fixture can only run the same watt bulbs it came with. ATI or Gisseman (sp?) bulbs would be a big light quality upgrade.
Most people don't keep the factory lamps for long. Odyssea bulbs are ultra low end. They will grow stuff but don't stay reliable for long (personal experience).

Sounds about right.. nothing seems to be growing in my tanks anymore other than my zoas. Everything looks good but never gets bigger. Maybe I'll go out and get new lights soon :)

Few questions about replacement bulbs.

1. Smallest bulb I can find is the 24" one. My actually bulbs are like 20-21" but the fixture is 24". Is that right?

2. On my fixture I have 2 white and 2 actinic. What should I replace them with going off of what ATI bulbs are on BRS?
-Aquablue
-Blue
-Purple
-Coral plus
-Actinic

Not sure which to get :/

It depends on the color u like. Let me see if I can find the thread I read about it. People posted pics of there tanks with the colors. Ill pm it to you cause it wasn't on here

It depends on the color u like. Let me see if I can find the thread I read about it. People posted pics of there tanks with the colors. Ill pm it to you cause it wasn't on here

Just got it! Thanks! First few comments ppl r saying horrible things about the aquablue light so thats out the window lol I'll probably get 2 blue, 1 purple and 1 coral plus

I'll probably order them in a few weeks. Gotta scrounge up some money.

In other news, in addition to modifying the skilter 250, I also went out and bought a Maxi jett 400 PH. Not sure how I feel about it yet. It turns the tank water over nicely but the suction cup design is horrible.

note to self: suction cups DO NOT stick to coralline algae.

You're right on about the cups. If you can use the wall rim hanger you should be golden. I found that Maxi Jet cups do better after they break in. When they're new they stink but after they get some tank film you'll have more luck. At least that's how all but one was.

Back
Top Bottom