16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok well it's been a few days since I've had the lights out, majority of the cyano is gone except for a few tiny spots. Now I'm seeing more and more hair algae. Tested my water
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.1
Ammo 0ppm
Trite 0ppm
Trate 0.2ppm
Mag 1340ppm
Calc 440ppm
Kh 10°
Phos 0ppm????

Im starting to think i need to get a different test other than API for phosphates bc they're obviously wrong.

Another thing, ChemiPure Elite doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. Any suggestions on a new phosphate test? And how to reduce phosphates?

Chemi pure elite takes months to fully take effect and honestly no regular phosphate test kit will give you the reading that you need other then digital testers like a Hannah checker.

Chemi pure elite takes months to fully take effect and honestly no regular phosphate test kit will give you the reading that you need other then digital testers like a Hannah checker.

Ok so leave the Elite in there, and don't worry about getting a new test. How would u recommend getting the hair algae out?

Using media like chemia pure elite, more frequent water changes, and less feeding possibly. The chemia pure elite should stay in your tank for 4-6 months.

Using media like chemia pure elite, more frequent water changes, and less feeding possibly. The chemia pure elite should stay in your tank for 4-6 months.

Okay well I just put a new bag in so I'll be good for awhile on elite. I barely feed as it is, every 3-4 days probably. And I guess I could do more water changes. I can't seem to get the hair algae off the rocks tho. Should I try n take the rocks out and scrub them?

Scrubbing may not be the answer but you can always test it out on one rock to see if it helps out. An emerald crab may be worth considering at this point. Hair algae does grow on natural reefs but algae eaters make quick work of it. Refugiums and chemical media are the common solution. You have the chemical media going now. It probably needs time. You could also blow off the rock with a small powerhead to help pull out detritus as part of your cleaning routine.

Scrubbing may not be the answer but you can always test it out on one rock to see if it helps out. An emerald crab may be worth considering at this point. Hair algae does grow on natural reefs but algae eaters make quick work of it. Refugiums and chemical media are the common solution. You have the chemical media going now. It probably needs time. You could also blow off the rock with a small powerhead to help pull out detritus as part of your cleaning routine.

Well I am going to the LFS soon, how many emerald crabs do u think I should get? Will they be okay with corals/peppermint shrimp?

Most are reef safe but they are individuals and can occasionally be troublesome. Never seen one look twice at a shrimp. I'd only get one and see how well he handles the algae. If you have time a google search will pull up lots of information on em.

Most are reef safe but they are individuals and can occasionally be troublesome. Never seen one look twice at a shrimp. I'd only get one and see how well he handles the algae. If you have time a google search will pull up lots of information on em.

K cool, yeah LiveAquaria says to make sure they have a decent amount of food or they MAY turn to corals.

Picked up a BIG emerald crab today :) as soon as I got him into the tank, he went into hiding, haven't seen him since lol

Had another mini cyano outbreak. Grrrr. Did a 5gal wc and siphoned it all out, lights out.... again.

Do you think the filter pad could be causing the nutrients? I haven't switched the pad out since the tanks been up(about 4-5 months maybe?) but have rinsed it out twice.

Id be rinsing it out every waterchange in tank water.

Yeah I probably should be doing that. Do you think that could be the problem though? I can't understand how it keeps coming back. Its not feeding too much, it's not too much light.

That's probably a leading cause to it I'd say. It's amazing how little build up it takes to spark an algae bloom of some kind.

It's essentially the same idea as my filter sock and that gets a full rinse atleast once a week usually twice.

Makes sense. Or maybe I'll just go out and get new filter pads. Tank's been up for just over 6 months(I checked lol) might be due.

Six months is a good run for a set of pads on a reef tank. Definitely worth changing them out. Sometimes even unworn pads don't rinse clean after a long enough time. You sure aren't doing bad if you're getting 6 months out of them. :)

Six months is a good run for a set of pads on a reef tank. Definitely worth changing them out. Sometimes even unworn pads don't rinse clean after a long enough time. You sure aren't doing bad if you're getting 6 months out of them. :)

Well TBH, I haven't changed it yet bc I couldn't find replacements. Lol I'll go out on Monday and pick up some new ones.

And guess what? Air line for the skilter is clogged... AGAIN. Ughhh

DanS180 said:
Well TBH, I haven't changed it yet bc I couldn't find replacements. Lol I'll go out on Monday and pick up some new ones.

And guess what? Air line for the skilter is clogged... AGAIN. Ughhh

You can make your own pads with the cut to fit blue bonded pads. They snap right in and make changing them out really cheap and easy.

Not surprising. The default venturi feature is wonky.

Back
Top Bottom