24x24x12 shallow reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greaver83

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im planing a shallow reef with a deep blue 30g frag tank. This will be a long build starting the first of next month ranging to February or so . I used to have a 75g FOWLR and failed miserably because of bad planning and not knowing about this forum until it was to late. So that being here I'm back to seek advice and supply my part list to see what you guys think. The tank will be running a DIY 20g tall sump just because i already have it do you guys think i will have enough light to keep clams anemones lps sps and whatever else I want. The canopy will be custom built suspended 8-10 inched from the tank with with chains from the ceiling. 2 do you guys think i will have adequate flow without having a sand storm.Has anyone ever used that particular skimmer or can recommend one at a fair price. Lastly what are yalls input on potential inhabitants. Any and all input opinion and experiences will be appreciated and respected.

Tank-http://www.petstore.com/Deep_Blue_30_Gallon_Rimless_Frag_Tank_24_Inch_x_24_Inch_x_12_Inch_Glass_Aquariums-Deep_Blue_Professional-2L13930-AQAQGL-vi.html

Lights-http://www.amazon.com/Wave-Point-24-Inch-96-Watt-Retro-Fit-Lighting/dp/B002M4S478/ref=sr_1_9?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347492538&sr=1-9&keywords=24+inch+4+bulb+t5ho

Skimmer-http://www.amazon.com/AquaticLife-Internal-Mini-Skimmer-115/dp/B001V95TZA/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347492950&sr=1-8&keywords=in+sump+protein+skimmer

Power heads-http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036S4YZ0/ref=sr_1_16?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347493044&sr=1-16&keywords=power+heads

Return pump for sump-http://www.amazon.com/EcoPlus-185-Submersible-Pump-GPH/dp/B0018WVNXC/ref=sr_1_33?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347493314&sr=1-33&keywords=sump+pump

Heater-http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Watt-Submersible-Built-In-Thermostat/dp/B005440HLO/ref=sr_1_11?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347493426&sr=1-11&keywords=aquarium+heater

Test kit-http://www.amazon.com/API-Saltwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001EUE808/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347493648&sr=1-1&keywords=saltwater+test+kit

In theory everything looks fine... I think the lighting should be ok since it is a shallow tank but you can always upgrade to a metal hallide system or a led set ups.

Not sure on the skimmer I always prefer boyu or a reef octopus type skinner....

I think you need to look a bit more in to the wave makers cause different grades of water flow is essential for the type of tank you are looking at... Most LPS coral line moderate light and moderate water flow and most SPS coral like intense light and Hugh water flow this is going to be your main issue... You could try a new system of lighting which is been used now which is to shine a hallide on half of the tabs and run lower LEDs on half so you have different type of light in your tank when placing the corals...

I would advise you to get at leased two good wave makers that run on an adjustable unit so you can time them and adjust different waterflows for different areas of the tank... The vortec wavemakers are the best in my opinion but a bit on the pricy side but there are Christ systems out there that you can install for the moment... Boyu had a similar set of wavemakers that run off a control panel...

UPDATE well i made some major progress tonight I ordered the Tank i list above the 24x24x12 with over flow, 2 600gph power heads, 500 gallon return pump for sump and i changed up the light to this MH ADV 24" Metal Halide Lighting T5 Light Hood Coral Reef Marine 346W LED Fan | eBay Hopefully i will be able to keep pretty much anything in my tank with this light. what are your opinions on the light. also do u guys think 1700gph will be enough flow for this tank its aprox 30g. I couldnt afford the wave makers right now

I finished the frame for my stand today doesnt look like much now but im going to pick up some nice ply wood and skin it and give it a piano style finish heres the pics the last pic is what the finished product will look like the white said will open for sump access

Metal halide lighting would not be an upgrade IME. High output t-5 lighting will be every bit as good. I would want more lamps though, since the tank is square. Why don't you go with an LED fixture? You could hang it high enough to get a 2 x 2 spread and the colors would look incredible.

That skimmer you posted is a waste of space and I would do without one all together and just export nutrients via water changes. The reason you would get a tank like this is aesthetics, and adding an internal, or even HOB skimmer would take a lot of the looks away, without adding much benefit. (editing due to reading the thread thoroughly.....If you definitely want a skimmer, go for something 1.5 to 2 times your total tank volume).

I don't think those nano power heads are going to be enough either. Might go a little stronger than those. I don't think an alternating current wavemaking device is necessary. I neat gadget, but I think it will also take away from the look. I would also go with the ecotec vortec mp10.

That return pump is a bit weak also. Might go with a mag5. You can use some of that for flow as well, but by the time that 185 gph pump reaches the top of the tank it's probably going to be about 50gph. Your sump will probably have areas of standing water and detritus build up pretty quickly.

....and now I read the below posts. That halide fixture will be plenty for whatever you want to keep. Don't know if it's an upgrade however, as T5 HO will do just as good a job.

Last edited:
thank you for your excellent advice MR X I also decided against the pump and the power heads too I ended up ordering dome 600gph korilla knock off powerheads and an odysea 500gph return pump I know its not the best but i read pretty good reviews on it so if it doesnt work i can always use it for something else and order a mag drive or something. the return pump came in the mail today i am still waiting on my power heads I will hopefully get to go by Lowes this weekend and grab the ply wood and paint to finish my stand Probably wont get to do much else to my tank until next month when i can build my budget back up some but here are some more pics guys and thanks again for the advice MR X and sorry for the horrble camera phone pics

I talked with my lfs guy about skimmers and he reccomends a corallife 65 is this just him trying to push a product he has stocked or is it a decent skimmer for the money

You have a sump right? if so toss a small reef octopus skimmer in it like the NWB 110 or something like that. They will do the job. You dont really need one however

Yes i have a sump i was going to use a 20h but i had to go with a 10g due to space issues under the stand. I think im going to run skimmerless until the first of the year and see how it does with weekly 5g pwc

Yes i have a sump i was going to use a 20h but i had to go with a 10g due to space issues under the stand. I think im going to run skimmerless until the first of the year and see how it does with weekly 5g pwc

sounds like a good idea to me

What are yalls opinions on gravity fed ato's seems pretty easy to do and i have plenty of room above my sump just not alot of floor space

so im up shopping for power strips, i need at least one with multiple timers to control my lights, i was just wondering what everyone was using to control their lights? my last tank i just had some cheap timers from walmart, but i didnt have as many lights to control. now i have 4 t5's(24wx4 all blue) metal halide(250w 14k) and led moonlights all on separate cords (the t5's are together) so 3 cords total. also what kind of photo period do you guys recommend. Do blue accentic lights provide anything to the corals or are they purely astetic

Back
Top Bottom