3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that is nice is like a mini refugium right?

You mean the main light over the tank? That one is the stock jbj 9w lamp. I have an led desk lamp that's sometimes on over the fuge, if that's what you mean.

I really dont like the thought of adding a chemical to raise it, should be some other way. If mr.x is online than PM him, hes a reef expert.

Couldn't find a mr.x online, but I found his profile. Thanks for the tip, I'll contact him soon. I know what you mean about not adding many chemicals to alter params, so I'll pm him before I add anything.

Hi again, sorry I haven't been around for a little while.

The tank is still cycling, nitrates are down from 10 to ~5 ppm, nitrites are almost gone (test shows a slight, slight bit of purple instead of blue.) The SG is finally up to 1.026, after a few days of topoffs with saltwater. The water is nice and clear, and I have a bag of carbon in the fuge. Haven't seen my brittle star in a few days, but maybe he's still hiding out under the LR, doing whatever brittle stars do (I tried to feed him once, but he wouldn't come out.)

My new powerhead, combined with the first one, creates much better surface movement. The thin film on the surface has disappeared :)

Still waiting for the cycle to end before a cuc is added. Thanks for looking!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388944104.542125.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388944123.590455.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388944151.758893.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388944194.200562.jpg

Nice man!

Thanks Frankie!

No new updates for now, still cycling. I did drill a hole for all the cords though, looks a lot better now. Here are a few pics just for fun. Saw my brittle star again today, swinging through the rock :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389037182.925710.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389037251.212711.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389037301.965318.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389037385.770269.jpg

Thanks Frankie!

No new updates for now, still cycling. I did drill a hole for all the cords though, looks a lot better now. Here are a few pics just for fun. Saw my brittle star again today, swinging through the rock :)

Looks great! I love brittles, ive counted upto 32 in my 20 at times, theres many more though. Dont know why ive got so many lol. It was only setup 1 month ago but i used seeded media and all live rock and live sand.

Good news! Nitrites appear to be gone and brown algae has appeared on the sand. From what I know, the algae is good in that it means my cycle is nearing its end, as bacteria colonize to consume the nitrates. Amiright?

Pics of the test and the brown bloom:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389069900.636947.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389069932.802295.jpg

Looks great! I love brittles, ive counted upto 32 in my 20 at times, theres many more though. Dont know why ive got so many lol. It was only setup 1 month ago but i used seeded media and all live rock and live sand.

Yeah I wonder how fast the little guys reproduce... Sounds like some people wind up with a lot of them even when they only had one or two initially. They're pretty cool looking IMO. Anyway, I'm cool with them! Btw, I got my rock from an established LFS tank and I just ordered some LS (pretty sure the Caribsea stuff isn't exactly packed with inverts or copepods.)

Good news! Nitrites appear to be gone and brown algae has appeared on the sand. From what I know, the algae is good in that it means my cycle is nearing its end, as bacteria colonize to consume the nitrates. Amiright?

Pics of the test and the brown bloom:

Diatom, normal part of the cycle. Will go away soon.

Yeah I wonder how fast the little guys reproduce... Sounds like some people wind up with a lot of them even when they only had one or two initially. They're pretty cool looking IMO. Anyway, I'm cool with them! Btw, I got my rock from an established LFS tank and I just ordered some LS (pretty sure the Caribsea stuff isn't exactly packed with inverts or copepods.)

No you wont find much in the sand but BB

Super quick update (I only have a sec)

Nitrates gone, got my first reef hermit!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389224334.903880.jpg

There is a ton of diatom bloom but my LFS told me the crab would do fine with it. I trusted them on this one. What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389224399.039036.jpg

Super quick update (I only have a sec)

Nitrates gone, got my first reef hermit!

There is a ton of diatom bloom but my LFS told me the crab would do fine with it. I trusted them on this one. What do you guys think?

Should be fine, its just a hermit anyway. If it dies its not a big lose, only $1-2.

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated much. I've been super busy with school and stuff.

I will be adding a small "coral plug" of zoas from my LFS really soon. Also, I've been thinking about a scooter blenny? I know some people create really nice picos with them. Any thoughts? Also, when should I start water changes? The cycle seems to be over.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated much. I've been super busy with school and stuff.

I will be adding a small "coral plug" of zoas from my LFS really soon. Also, I've been thinking about a scooter blenny? I know some people create really nice picos with them. Any thoughts? Also, when should I start water changes? The cycle seems to be over.

Thanks!

I wouldn't see any problem with that fish. And I would start them within the next week! Just like half a gallon to a gallon. Looking good my friend! Keep up the hard work!

No to the scooter blenny, which is actually a dragonet like the manderin. I had one in my 55 and that was not big enough for the pod population. They are picky eaters, mine never ate prepared foods so a tank that small would not have enough pods to keep it alive.

Back
Top Bottom