5 gallon SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikaelaSD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys just started my 5 gallon tank. The pet store gave me water that they used in their tank that's been cycled to put into my tank. How often should I do water changes. I currently have a live rock in there and snails with 2 damsels. Should I not have any livestock in there? Worker said it was ok because I was using the water they use for their fish. I also bought bacteria for the tank and was told to add it daily to build bacteria. Any thoughts? I need help!!

Hi guys just started my 5 gallon tank. The pet store gave me water that they used in their tank that's been cycled to put into my tank. How often should I do water changes. I currently have a live rock in there and snails with 2 damsels. Should I not have any livestock in there? Worker said it was ok because I was using the water they use for their fish. I also bought bacteria for the tank and was told to add it daily to build bacteria. Any thoughts? I need help!!

:-o 2 damsels in a 5g?? I think maybe you should research their tank size requirements, then promptly return them. I'm just now getting into sw too and I'm trying to find fish that are suitable for a 15. There are a few, but damsels aren't one of them.

:-o 2 damsels in a 5g?? I think maybe you should research their tank size requirements, then promptly return them. I'm just now getting into sw too and I'm trying to find fish that are suitable for a 15. There are a few, but damsels aren't one of them.

The pet store that I currently went and purchased the same size tank also has 2 small damsels in their rink for months now. So If you can maintain it, it's possible!

The pet store that I currently went and purchased the same size tank also has 2 small damsels in their rink for months now. So If you can maintain it, it's possible!

Typo not rink I mean't in their "tank"

I think your pet store are giving you some bad advice. Water isn't cycled, even if its come from an established tank. Your beneficial bacteria lives in your rocks and sand, so you are doing a fish in cycle. Those fish do not belong in that small a tank, in fact no fish is really suited to that size. They are also the lost aggressive fish you can buy so watch out for that. As for water changes you should be doing that weekly and topping off daily. Do you have your own test kits? Do you have a refractometer to measure salinity?

I live in Japan so they probably do things different here. They do have the same size tank as I do with the same fish in and they have had it for months. Doing well. By topping off can I add distilled water to it? Do I need to add bacteria daily to my tank?

Just because you live in Japan doesn't mean it's ok and just because your pet store has done it doesn't mean its ok. My point is that of your fish store told you that your tank is cycled because you used those water then they don't know what they are talking about. If I were you I would find another store that does. Remember that pet stores are there to make money and advice given on here is free and from people who care about fish and want to help people have successful tanks ;)

First off, this is an aquarium advice forum.I don't need negative remarks like your better then everyone on this site. Like I said I just started and that is my current situation on what I have started. Remarks and comments like " just because your in Japan blah blah doesn't mean it's ok" I just said they have their own opinions and a staff that helped me out was what I was told. That's why I'm on the forum today to seek advice not negative comments from people like yourself, so don't give me smart remarks. I need helpful advice not to set someone down on their nano tank. I know so many pico nano tank owners that are successful.

Just because you live in Japan doesn't mean it's ok and just because your pet store has done it doesn't mean its ok. My point is that of your fish store told you that your tank is cycled because you used those water then they don't know what they are talking about. If I were you I would find another store that does. Remember that pet stores are there to make money and advice given on here is free and from people who care about fish and want to help people have successful tanks ;)

First off, this is an aquarium advice forum.I don't need negative remarks like your better then everyone on this site. Like I said I just started and that is my current situation on what I have started. Remarks and comments like " just because your in Japan blah blah doesn't mean it's ok" I just said they have their own opinions and a staff that helped me out was what I was told. That's why I'm on the forum today to seek advice not negative comments from people like yourself, so don't give me smart remarks. I need helpful advice not to set someone down on their nano tank. I know so many pico nano tank owners that are successful.

I don't think that remark was negative in any way.

That's the sad thing about the Internet, things can be taken the wrong way because you can't read tones.

Anyways, a 5 gallon doesn't have much choices for fresh water, let alone salt. You definitely need to return the damsels. They are way too much for that tank. You'd need to do w/c's every other day to maintain which isn't healthy for the fish.

Benificial bacteria cannot live in water, only on rocks sand and filter media as previously stated, so you'll have to check your water parameters daily to make sure it doesn't get too toxic for your inverts and fish and if it does, do a water change.

Pick nano tanks can be hard to maintain but I'm up for a challenge. I've met some SW pico nano tank owners that has been successful. I've had my tank for 2 wks now and it has been doing well. Parameters are good. Fish are well, energetic And eating. I've been doing frequent water changes to maintain a healthy environment.

Pick nano tanks can be hard to maintain but I'm up for a challenge. I've met some SW pico nano tank owners that has been successful. I've had my tank for 2 wks now and it has been doing well. Parameters are good. Fish are well, energetic And eating. I've been doing frequent water changes to maintain a healthy environment.

Well please note that the damsels will need to be rehomed eventually. They don't belong in that small of a tank.

I know there are a couple gobys that can go in a 5 gal tank.

I agree with everyone else. The tank is too small for those damsels. Id say a clown goby in there and some small shrimp and your stocked. Also i did not see anyone being rude or saying they are better than anyone else, they were giving you good advice trying to help you!

I havent seen bad remarks yet. You came here seeking advuce and they are giving you "aquarium advice". Th3 fact is, those damsels need a new home. A 5g can have a goby or just a nice clean up crew and some corals

Im just starting on my tank and I'm given comments that are not helping me instead of comments like being in Japan doesn't mean it's ok. Instead of coming at someone like that you should approach them with a suggestion not being straight forward. Like I said I'm new to this salt water hobby and I never said it was ok I was completely stating my situation from what I was assisted by the staffs. Whether the replies thought it wasn't rude I found out not so helpful to bring someone down from what a staff of a fish store that had helped me. By all means I only thought I was ok because it is what you see. I felt offended by the way you responded to my thread when you said it doesn't make it ok because I live in Japan or it doesn't make it ok that a pet store has done it. Well obviously I was only attempting it because it is what in front of me. Like I said I'm a beginner I need helpful advice not comments like those that bring someone down. Those that did respond are probably those who have been in the SW hobby for awhile, geez relax and cut a new beginner some slack.

I have a 12 gal tank an one damsel an some shrimps my damsel is only tiny an such a bully anything i put in he bullys ive took countless fish back i keep him alone now with inverts i really wouldent keep two in such a small tank with them
Being so aggresive

I have a 12 gal tank an one damsel an some shrimps my damsel is only tiny an such a bully anything i put in he bullys ive took countless fish back i keep him alone now with inverts i really wouldent keep two in such a small tank with them
Being so aggresive

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom