Anyone here have seahorses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nope, I'm starting my first marine tank in a couple weeks, but certainly don't feel ready for seahorses. But I hope my second tank will be a seahorse tank!

That's great! My first marine fish was seahorses. That was last year and everything is going really good. They are so neat!

I am still not a pro at it. I learn somthing new every week about them. I can tell you, definately a challenge. My 12 gallon reef tank is a whole lot easier by far. However they are fasinating to watch.

I don't find them difficult at all. Im not a pro though. Far from it but im giving them my best and keep up a routine.

seahorses

I am hoping I hae just had a string of bad luck. I have lost a few. Water parmeters are good. I am pretty sure I have had a case of evil:devilish: parasites. So now at least for awhile I have a hyposalinity tank up and running just in case. Any success with babies for you?

Ive got several adult/juvenile babies to make it now from a couple different broods. Selling those now. I am still adjusting my systems to improve my success. I am hoping this next batch thats due in a day or two will do excellent in one of my new systems.
For parasites i dip them in freshwater for about 5-7 mins then dip them in saltwater mix with methlane blue. I cant get any formalin here so i use rid ich plus it has formalin and malachite green in it. Sometimes i dump that in their tank and leave it for a couole days then run carbon and do water changes. Hope your parasite problems get better!

My profile pic i have is of one of my male horses. Hes my fav. Hes so pretty. I raised him and hes about 6 months old.

I have had a go of the parasites. I first added lifeguard to the tank, which killed off most of my cleanup crew. Lost a seahorse then anyway. So I continued to have issues. Started a hyposalinity tank to treat the seahorses where I can treat the tank as well. Decided that was the best for me because I have some soft corals, peppermint shrimp and a skunk shrimp. I would love to try at baby seahorses, if I could just get them to mate. Usually buy my Seahorses from Oceanrider in HI. They are healthy and well fed when they arrive. Do you have any other pictures?

I dont think i have any more of the seahorses. Ill upload some more hopefully tonight. Parasites suck! Lol i hate them! I dont have any coral or shrimp right now. Going to upgrade sometime n the future.
But anyways i had a male deliever around 200-250 babies. They were just a little while ago and are still sticky ao i cant get them out yet. Should in an hour or so

I add ric ick plus with a couple drops of methalene blue in my main tank (even the baby tanks) but i dont know if you would want to do that since you have coral. Then i dip my adult seahorses in freshwater. Cause it seems to me that if you only treat one and not the others or the rest of the tank then as soon as you expose them into that same environment theyll have the parasites again.

I posted some pics on my profile of some of my seahorses. The first one is of the baby seahorses that were born this morning :)

Back
Top Bottom