Awsome addition to any Nano reef or tank with HOB filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Skilter 250 on my 10 gal nano reef. It works great for filtration, and the skimmer collects all kinds of junk since I upgraded it with a limewood airstone.

But........

There is always protein and small bubbles on the surface, due to the fact that the tank is too small for a overflow, and I have no sump or fuge to accomodate it anyway. The HOB filter takes all its water from the middle of the tank. I wasnt satisfied with this, since all my other tanks are large enough to have overflows on them, and the water is polished top to bottom.

So, I found this!

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG10240

It is a surface skimmer for HOB filters, and fits almost any kind of filter. It works awsome, and it totally cleans the protein off the surface of the water.

I would Highly reccomend this for anyone with a HOB filter.

I bought one of these for my AC110 when I had my 10 gallon nano. Awesome little thing.

BTW, moving this to the nano tank forum to keep things organized.

swjunkie said:
I have a small 10-15 g whisper HOB filter would it work with that as well?
TIA

Yes, it comes with 2 adapter tips to fit larger and smaller filters.

It is a little hard to adjust, but it works great once adjusted.....Great way to monitor your water level though, makes you do those daily top offs that are so important for nanos!

okay just got mine in. how do I hook it up? Okay hooked it up how do I know if I have it calibrated right?
TIA

It is not easy.....that was the only thing I found I didnt like.

I siliconed the skimmer cup to the black tube, to keep it from floating up(I guess this is how they want you to adjust it) Then I just pull it up and down with the underwater induction control(the thing you tighten and loosen to adjust the fow at the bottom)

I then adjust the flow about half way, so that the skimmer actually "sucks" water from the surface, as in the top isnt so far down that it is covered in water(In other words, so that stuff cant float in one side, and out the other because there isnt enough downward suction).....So I adjust it to a perfect hight so that is it a strong enough flow to suck something down the tube.

It does require constant adjustment, but it isnt hard, I just slide it up or down once I had the skimmer cup glued down, and the bottom flow adjusted right for my filter.

It is still IMHO a great device for a small tank.

I will post pics of the workings if they are required!

Back
Top Bottom