Bio cube 14 pump upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan91369

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Can anyone help me decide which upgrade pump is best for the BC14? My concern is the pump fitting chamber 3 correctly, and what is best for flow?
Thanks

Maxi Jet 900 is what most people choose. some choose the MJ1200 but it runs warmer & the water may be a little warm for your liking

I upgraded my 14 with the 900. Any higher and I'm afraid it would have been a battle keeping the substrate on the bottom. The 900 fits but b prepared to do some plumbing. Put it in as best u can, without too many 90 degree turns between the pump and return nozzle. The turns decrease the output. It doesn't have to look pretty, just functional

Rio 800+ pump mod on biocube BC-14

Biocube 14 or BC14 has a good balance with the stock pump changing out pumps to a higher volume pump has its issues. First you have to add more water to your tank, the tank level will be higher you will find that out as soon as you get the higher volume pump plugged in. finding the right level for a maxi jet 900 volume pump maybe overflowing back into you chambers bypassing your mechanical filter stage.

I like a rio 800 + with a GPH of 211 at 0" it has a volume control and it's a plug and play application it fits perfect no serious moods what so ever maybe trim the return line. Now I can run a rotating head on the output. The Rio 600 + and the Rio 800 + has the same footprint.

I'm not sure how some get a Maxi jet 1200 to work without it overflowing out of the tank? All I can guess is maybe restricting the flow into the pump by being blocked in the tight chamber. I tried a maxi jet 900 and it sucked the chamber dry in seconds. I have a R&D/ quarantine tank BC-14 that I do mods in first. This response maybe too late for you but I hope this might help someone else. Whatever pump mod you try please make sure if the power goes out you don't wind up with a mess.

Just one addition is many people have issues with the Rio pumps they seem to get shocked I have never been shocked before by a pump, heaters yes but not by a rio pump I had a heater give me the jolt of a life time and it had me and my clownfish dancing the Macarena. Maybe it's not such a good idea pulling on the power cords when they are plugged in (I'm just saying).

I agree. There r a couple modifications to the filtering that needs to b done in order for the MJ900 to work. Pretty simple. Removing the sponge in chamber 3 is a must. This sponge is worthless anyway. IMO. Instead of the sponge, drop a bag of chemipure elite in the bottom of chamber 2. I also widened the passage between chamber 1+2 with a dremel saw disc. I didn't want to but in order for the 900 to fit I had to insert it with the intake facing upwards. This is the easiest way in order for the new plumbing with the least amount of bends.

Back
Top Bottom