Brand new Setup in 14 gal bio cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chargingxray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm am brand new to the whole salt water tank. I have a 14 gal bio cube with 20 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. That's all I have done is put that stuff in and pre made saltwater from my local pet store. I'm gonna do water changes every week (20%) for the first 4 weeks or so and I am keeping the light off for now I just need to know what I am missing and what I should do next to help my tank cycle good.

Just need to let it cycle. Test it periodically to see how it is going. I wouldn't worry about the pwc until it has cycled.

Okay do you recommend keep lights off till the cycling is over? Should I buy any purple up or anything at this point or just hold off on all that?

Got another quick question should I get a uv sterilizer for my bio cube? Will upload pictures later tonight. Any information help so help away thanks lol :)

I started with the 14 Bio. It's still going strong although I transferred all my LPS's over to my newer tank. I still keep a Dendro in the Bio along with some leather corals. It's absolutely a great beginners tank. You will learn tons from keeping this tank healthy
Don't fall prey to all the gadgets u will run across. Like the UV sterilizer. Even a protein skimmer isn't necessary as long as u keep up the PWC's. Besides, the skimmers for a 14G aren't worth the cost. They're kinda chincy.
Another suggestion. I kinda over did my stock when I first started. Not with fish or inverts but with corals. Don't make the same mistake. I forgot to leave room for their growth. And make no mistake, they do grow! Good Luck. U will find out for urself, it ain't that hard to take care of

Sniperhank said:
You shouldn't need a uv sterilizer. Also, keep your lights off while cycling. This will prevent unneeded algae growth and electricity.

Thanks for the info every little bit helps!!!

Crabs said:
I started with the 14 Bio. It's still going strong although I transferred all my LPS's over to my newer tank. I still keep a Dendro in the Bio along with some leather corals. It's absolutely a great beginners tank. You will learn tons from keeping this tank healthy
Don't fall prey to all the gadgets u will run across. Like the UV sterilizer. Even a protein skimmer isn't necessary as long as u keep up the PWC's. Besides, the skimmers for a 14G aren't worth the cost. They're kinda chincy.
Another suggestion. I kinda over did my stock when I first started. Not with fish or inverts but with corals. Don't make the same mistake. I forgot to leave room for their growth. And make no mistake, they do grow! Good Luck. U will find out for urself, it ain't that hard to take care of

Okay thanks all that helps me out. Okay what kind of corals do you suggest? Also do you recommend any kind of like liquid things to put into tank idk what there called but pretty much the supplements in the bottles you get at your LPS, like purple up and I got that and someone sold me nano reef part a and b but i know how sells men can be they are just there to sell you stuff even if you don't really need it, that's why I'm on here because I feel like the people at my LPS don't know what there really talking about.

I am currently running a stock 14 bio cube. My tank is four months old and doing well. I do water changes weekly and test water parameters twice a week. I have pulsating Xenia, bam bam and radioactive zoanthids, gsp,torch coral and a Kenya tree. These are the only corals I've tried and they are multiplying and growing fine. As for the supplements, people say that if your doing your pwc regularly, Then you don't need to add supplements. I personally use the Kent marine nano reef part a and b when I do my water changes. The directions on the bottle say to do it daily but I can't bring my self to do it. Also remember that the biocube 14 doesn't actually have 14 gallons so take that into account when and if you supplement.
Also, another rule of thumb to remember is never supplement something that you don't test for! This could lead to excess nutrients that could cause such a small system to go south quickly. Good luck, enjoy!

Looks good but thought I may point out a potential issue.

The anemone that you have is not likely to survive for a couple of reasons. The first is that your tank being only 3 1/2 weeks old will not have stable enough water parameters needed for a nem. Additionally, the stock lighting in the 14 gallon Bio Cube will really only be sufficient for some soft corals. I would keep a close eye on it as when it dies it can poison your entire tank.

How are your water parameters? Are you testing? The hardest part of this hobby is the wait. Patience and research on every creature you become responsible for will pay off in the end. There is a endless supply of eager and helpful people on this forum to get your through every issue you run across.

Best of luck.

Anemone is dead like you said I took it out when it started turning its sides inside. My water looks fine just a little ammonia I think because of it dying today when I was at work. I got my tank from a guy on Craigslist and he said it had t5 lighting is that a good type? What kind of lights/ hood do you recommend?

The stock lighting that comes with the Bio Cube is fine as long as you are keeping animals that only need the amount of light that it provides. Soft corals are about it no SPS, LPS or nems unless you do some hood modifications and change out to LED. It can get expensive but some people have done some great jobs.

Starchar, I've seen people keep softies, Lps, and sps in biocubes fine, they don't thrive. But they do ok

Okay after a few weeks of saving up and getting everything together I ordered two 19W Panorama Pro LED lights to put in the hood and I'm still gonna fun the stock light till I can buy more LEDs. I also am getting a power head and a uv sterilizer I hope all this makes a difference to my tanks life. Will upload pictures as soon and everything is put in and working thanks for all the help and don't forget everything helps so tell me anything you think can help me alone the way thanks!!!

This is my tank with the new lighting that I installed. Everything in doing a lot better in just hours.

Attachments

• image-3415688269.jpg
    image-3415688269.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 194
  • image-3202401844.jpg
    image-3202401844.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image-3168323977.jpg
    image-3168323977.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 196
Dramatic difference! I love it. I'm a little worried about the light acclimation. If you see anything losing color, move it down in the tank and then slowly move it back up to where you want it.

Thank man if it wasn't for you Scotty I would have the awesome lights. I will keep any eye on it for sure I can't start loosing stuff now lol.

Back
Top Bottom