can I keep coral?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CARM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29G (30"long/16"deep) fowlr tank with a 24" T5 fluorescent (17w/8000K). I am thinking about converting it to a reef; is this lighting enough to support corals like zoanthids and mushrooms or will I need to upgrade?

Upgrade. Get a 30" two bulb HOT5 fixture with individual reflectors and you won't have to worry about it. With low light if you are lucky enough to not kill the corals they will be brown. We tan brown, they tan neon colors. Without the higher light they won't need their protective, colorful pigments.

Fishguy2727 said:
Upgrade. Get a 30" two bulb HOT5 fixture with individual reflectors and you won't have to worry about it. With low light if you are lucky enough to not kill the corals they will be brown. We tan brown, they tan neon colors. Without the higher light they won't need their protective, colorful pigments.

If we burn red, what do they burn?

from, Adam

They bleach. The function of this is that they got rid of their old zooxanthellae algae that can't handle the higher lighting. In the wild they can try to get a new type of zooxanthellae that is better adapted to their new conditions. In acptivity this is rarely what happens and they usually end up dead.

Fishguy2727 said:
They bleach. The function of this is that they got rid of their old zooxanthellae algae that can't handle the higher lighting. In the wild they can try to get a new type of zooxanthellae that is better adapted to their new conditions. In acptivity this is rarely what happens and they usually end up dead.

Nice.. Thanks for the info

from, Adam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom