cannibals in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve03

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I woke up this morning to do my normal tank maintains and normaly my coral banded shrimp sleeps in the front corner. As I got closer he had a peperment ship by the head. So me trying to be the hero stuck my grabers in the tank to scare the banded shrimp. He let go and the peperment jetted to the very corner. I thought he was in the clear when my serpent star came out of nowere and raped up the peperment and took off under the rock work. After a few min when my moon lights came on the banded ship was eating the peperment. So now to a quick qwetion. Should I or should not take the peperment ship carcass out?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110910_102441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110910_102441.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 128
So I woke up this morning to do my normal tank maintains and normaly my coral banded shrimp sleeps in the front corner. As I got closer he had a peperment ship by the head. So me trying to be the hero stuck my grabers in the tank to scare the banded shrimp. He let go and the peperment jetted to the very corner. I thought he was in the clear when my serpent star came out of nowere and raped up the peperment and took off under the rock work. After a few min when my moon lights came on the banded ship was eating the peperment. So now to a quick qwetion. Should I or should not take the peperment ship carcass out?

Normally coral banded's kill ornamental shrimps. So sorry for your loss:(

Last edited:
i thought my peppermint shrimp was dead for weeks, i hadnt seen ANY signs of him, even when i rearranged my rock and corals etc, could NOT find him. till one morning i came out and found the crispy critter on my floor right in front of my tank. =/

scubasteve03 said:
I had a fish do that same thing to me lol poor guy took the leap of faith

Still better than finding ur beloved dogs and cats enjoying the free fresh meal :,(

Poor lil peppermint shrimpy, RIP

i also lost a firefish and a beautiful 6 line wrasse. maybe i should put a top on? nahh to complicated

i also lost a firefish and a beautiful 6 line wrasse. maybe i should put a top on? nahh to complicated
Those are fish that were caught from the wild. I think putting a top on is not to complicated it is called not being responsible. The are fish that shouldn't be taken from the wild because of low populations due to the pet trade. I try to buy tank raised if possible even it cost more which I know it does. I do cover my tanks that have fish that are known jumpers. It isn't worth it to me to lose one fish that I could have prevented from dieing.

Climbing off my soap box now!

funny you should say that cuz all i buy is tank raised. that's all my local store sells. and not being responsible? you dont even know what equipment i am running, nor the lighting. it WOULD be complicated because of light fixtures and equipment on the back of the tank. its a 40 breeder, so unless you know where they sell good solid lids for a 40 breeder with no center bracket and go around a zoomed 36inch fixture, dont be tellin me whats not complicated.

All I did was go to the local glass shop and get a lid made for my tanks which includes a corner tank which was a little iffy when it came to fitting it right. They make plastic hinges as well. Where do the six lines come from that are tank raised? Please find out for me since I would like to order one for my 45 corner tank.

funny you should say that cuz all i buy is tank raised. that's all my local store sells. and not being responsible? you dont even know what equipment i am running, nor the lighting. it WOULD be complicated because of light fixtures and equipment on the back of the tank. its a 40 breeder, so unless you know where they sell good solid lids for a 40 breeder with no center bracket and go around a zoomed 36inch fixture, dont be tellin me whats not complicated.
your point being? just because they arent wild caught doesnt mean there lives dont matter. your saying your fishes lives arent worth a little work on your part?

uhmm, idk WHERE they got it, but it was the petworks in longview WA. i can ask and let ya know all the details. cuz he WAS gorgeous.

and the 6 line wrasse jumped out when i was a NOOOOB at the hobby. now im a year and a half into it. and the little devil hopped out of my 29g which i DID have a tight lid for. he hopped out of the 2 inch gap in the back.
get the details before you start hatin! i was upset as **** when i saw him out my floor. im not some ******* who says oh well, just another fish. im very attached to all my livestock, even the 8 hermits i have. i went ahead and started watching out for "jumpers", it was my gf who brought home the firefish, i knew he was a jumper, but he seemed content in the tank. an same story, i was upset when i found him dead.

I would appreciate it maybe I can get a couple of other tank raised fish I have been begging to get. I don't want to pay shipping just for one fish.

Back
Top Bottom