Coral advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey , I just need a little advice on what corals I could get in my 10gallon nano , im looking for corals that are enjoyable to look at, vibrant colors (if possible) easy-intermediate care difficulty, and im very interested in feeding habits or if some simply survive by feeding on whats in the watee column, my aquarium has been running for a year consists of two fish a very good cuc mixture of snails, hermits, true crabs and a cleaner shrimp. My filter is suited for up to 30gallons i have a 60gph pump running probably too much sand and LR but no problems ever, im wondering if i need a skimmer or not for corals my LFS says its a must any help would be apreciated thanks

Hey , I just need a little advice on what corals I could get in my 10gallon nano , im looking for corals that are enjoyable to look at, vibrant colors (if possible) easy-intermediate care difficulty, and im very interested in feeding habits or if some simply survive by feeding on whats in the watee column, my aquarium has been running for a year consists of two fish a very good cuc mixture of snails, hermits, true crabs and a cleaner shrimp. My filter is suited for up to 30gallons i have a 60gph pump running probably too much sand and LR but no problems ever, im wondering if i need a skimmer or not for corals my LFS says its a must any help would be apreciated thanks

For nano tanks skimmer are not a must, fish store loves to sell you something you dont need. Water changes and proper care of your filter will be all you need.

If your looking for colors and ease look at zoanthids, palythoas, mushrooms and ricordia. Also pulsing xenia, coco worms, star polyps etc.

For a LPS look into Acans, Chalices, frogspawn etc.

Just remember 10g is gonna be taken up fast by corals so chose wisely.

Also take into account lighting requirments. Nt sure what your lighting is.

Ok thanks, so how many corals would be my limit 3-5? And my lighting is around 74watts 2 actinic bulbs and 2 full spectrum so probably no hard stuff and is xenia a filter feeder? And the ricordia I should spot feed? If i decided on them.

Ok thanks, so how many corals would be my limit 3-5? And my lighting is around 74watts 2 actinic bulbs and 2 full spectrum so probably no hard stuff and is xenia a filter feeder? And the ricordia I should spot feed? If i decided on them.

What kind of lighting is this T5? You may have more than enough for hard corals.

Also i think you should be able to fit over 5 it more so depends what you pick and how big you let it get, some corals are aggressive towards others also some will grow faster and enchroach on territory just go slow and give them ample room, you will probably start to realize when your at your limit.

Yea they bulbs are t5's I never really understood the rule of thumb for lighting, like how many watts per gallon, but wait.. How big I let them get? How do i control that DX i was kinda under the impression i just let them grow and grow lol I also have another question , is there such a thing as too much LR? Cause i often see 10gallons with with just a few stones while I have 15-20 pounds and a 2-3 inch sandbed

Yea they bulbs are t5's I never really understood the rule of thumb for lighting, like how many watts per gallon, but wait.. How big I let them get? How do i control that DX i was kinda under the impression i just let them grow and grow lol I also have another question , is there such a thing as too much LR? Cause i often see 10gallons with with just a few stones while I have 15-20 pounds and a 2-3 inch sandbed

You can frag coral trim them back or thin the population. Thats what i was referring to by how big you let them get.

Yes since they are t5's you can grow nearly any coral. Pretty much anything so wouldnt worry to much about that.

Also usually 1lb of live rock per gallon is plenty. Sand depth is mostly personal choice but 1-3 inches is best for most tanks.

Since the tank is pretty small I'd make sure to check into the aggression level of any corals you consider. Some of them are real jerks and even a small colony could eat up half the available real estate by not letting anything else live there. As an example I had a diploastrea heliopora that would try to kill anything that got within about six inches of it. And man was it good at killing stuff! Every time I thought I had everything far enough away it found a way to reach something.

Wow intense I never thought that corals were so aggressive and territoral 0.0 but im sure glad my lights are good enough to support growth for almost anything and besides my excess of liverock everything is in check, so what did you do with this hardcore coral? Im going to look it up XD thanks alot guys for all the knowledge/advice, and what do most corals eat? pods? Mysis? Or just anything? And any fickle corals i should keep away from? This is my primary concern oh and acclimation process ill be doing the drip method of course but ive read u ahould place corals at bottom of tank then slowly move them up to adjust them to the light and is 6hrs a day good enough light?

Wow intense I never thought that corals were so aggressive and territoral 0.0 but im sure glad my lights are good enough to support growth for almost anything and besides my excess of liverock everything is in check, so what did you do with this hardcore coral? Im going to look it up XD thanks alot guys for all the knowledge/advice, and what do most corals eat? pods? Mysis? Or just anything? And any fickle corals i should keep away from? This is my primary concern oh and acclimation process ill be doing the drip method of course but ive read u ahould place corals at bottom of tank then slowly move them up to adjust them to the light and is 6hrs a day good enough light?

Corals dont really need much feeding, plankton for softies and mysis for many LPS but once a week is plenty.

Light acclimating corals is a good idea, it lets them slowly adjust to the new lighting especially if its much more intense.

The norm is 10-12 hours daylight. 6 wont do much for ya.

Back
Top Bottom