Costs on Nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I'm just playing around with the idea of starting a nano SW aquarium with lr and corals. What would the minimum cost be for a 5g? Lighting included, all the equipment needed (skimmer? what is it by the way?), Filter, Lr and the anemones or corals? I know it would be harder to keep up with water quality, but could you give advice on how to do this in the most efficient way?

TIA!

usually the the rule of thumb is aboout $30 per gallon for brand new equipment. This cost estimate is for initial setup not including corals, fishes, livestock. Your looking to spend about $150 US dollars for a 5g tank, live rock, sand, hang on back filter, heater, powerheads, thermometer, salt, hydrometer, some test kits and maybe lights.

To help keep up on water quality you should do weekly 10% water changes a week which will help export waste and import new trace elements that's provided in the salt mix. Also a skimmer helps. Things can get bad in such small water volume

Here is a breakdown of my setup, not including shipping or tax. Also, this does not include all of the things I have tried and no longer use. This should give you a good idea of how quickly these things can get expensive. I purchased this stuff between online vendors and local shops. I chose not to skip corners and it has really paid off, I have had no deaths save for one snail that was eaten by a hermit.

$35 tank
$65 stand
$10 glass top
$40 aragonite substrate
$150 live rock (bought locally)
$130 pc light fixture
$110 skimmer (highly reccomended)
$15 maxijet
$15 minijet
$15 heater
$75 clean up crew (about $2.50 each locally, 30 critters total)
$50 marine test kits
$30 salt mixing bucket + heater + powerhead to mix water
$5 siphon
$15 salt mix, save money by buying this is larger quantities
$20 light timers (i have 2)
$5 power strip
$10 mag float
$5 kalk mix
---
$800

Keep in mind I have no fish, and no corals that are notable.

Here is what I have for my 10 gal:

$8 10 gal tank
$20 mini-jet
$15 heater
$15-20 for wood for canopy and base
$60 for ballast, caps and 2 32 watt bulbs
old Whisper power filter as a fuge - free
LS and LR came from existing tank and dead rock

I got 50 lbs of dead rock on ebay for $50 shipped

I would say $150-200 is what I have in it but I did have a few things already.

Maybe you can find more info on http://www.nano-reef.com/.

I'm in the process of trying to set up my Eclipse System 6 into a nano reef.

They seem to have lots of great ideas...such as a DIY project to make a small skimmer costing about $2 worth of material to make...but people seem to be spending about $25 for all the tools needed to make it.

I've bought my System 6 from petsmart.com for like $40 bux. I'm sure you can find something better or cheaper or something that suits your needs better. I'm planning on getting about 5-7 lbs of live rock and maybe getting a cup or two of sand from a friend who has a reef setup already.

GL with your nano setup and keep us posted.

Wow, expensive indeed......i'm going to start of by planning things out properly. I'll read up on SW tanks, post lots of questions here, get me a good book, and save for all the equipment needed. This will be a project demanding allot of patience for me. The way things are looking now i should have enough cash only somewhere in July, August next year. Enough time to research everything properly i believe.

Question for Grimlock3000: What do you like best, your FW or your SW tank? As in hours spent watching the activity in your tank. Any others that have both FW and SW feel free to join in.

Thanks for the info guys

Save your $$ on the book, just about every piece of info you need is online, less your not search engine savy. And what isn't online you can post on forums like this one. Take the 15 -20 bucks you'd spend on a book and buy some equipment! ; ) You mentioned a 5g, you mean 15g? If not, my lfs has a 5g nano, I'll ask if its a kit.
Some links (Cause Im bored.. :) )
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33800
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...8924/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4343945207&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=4343946953&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I am in the process of setting up a 12 gal. nano. I just got the JBJ Nano Cube Deluxe with the "S" stand for $250. I am expecting to get 20lbs LS for $25 (I will seed it with some from my exsisiting reef tank), 25lbs LR for roughly $200. I am using exsisiting LR rubble from my sump and a heater that I already have. Basiclly, getting started for a bit under $500. I am planning on two small fish and fragging a lot of the corals from my main reef to put in the nano. I do not plan on spending a lot on livestock. That is the plan for now.

Along with the 10 I have, we also have a 5 gal minibow. I use the filter that came with it and LR/LS from my other tanks. I bought a 25w heater and a $10 10 watt screw in PC 50/50 bulb. You can get a 20 watt screw in 50/50 bulb online too. The minibow was $35.

I like my 10 gal better but the 5 is nice. I have some GSP, anthelia, shrooms and a clown goby in it.

Back
Top Bottom