Do you follow stocking rules?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jscott2487

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anybody really follow stocking rules? Whether it's for amount of fish or type of fish. I run a 29 gallon at the moment that has two blue green chromis to ocellaris clowns 2 Molly's that were supposed to be food for some other things like an enemies that never died a coral beauty Angel a bicolor parrotfish of Huma Huma trigger scooter blenny and a mandarin an engineer goby a ton of snails and crabs a bubble tip and a mini Maxi anemone and more types of corals and I even feel like listing but everything from zoa's to.gsp Kenya tree bird's nest ufele of mushrooms gorgonians you name it it's in this tank. It's probably getting a neon dottyback and a flame Angel soon as well. And maybe a couple of wrasse. Now the stuff that will get way too big for the steak eventually will be going into a 120 or 150

If one isn't able to put the requirements for an animal together for it to be able to thrive, then it should have stayed in its natural habitat. Overstocking leads to parameter issues, bullying, and unneeded stress. I remember when I thought I knew better, but just because it is ok for a period of time doesn't mean that it actually is or if it will remain that way.

+1 to hank, I’ll add that I let the tank tell me if it’s stocked or not. In my 20 cube I have 4 fish and am thinking of adding a 5th as my nitrates are consistent in the 3-5 ppm range and I’d like that a little higher. That said I’ve chosen size appropriate fish that inhabit different regions of the tank, a shrimp goby for the bottom, pair of clowns, and a tail spot blenny that perches in the rock work. For my 5th I’m thinking something like a 6 line or orchid dotttyback or gramma as they’ll occupy different territory than my current fish

You have 12 fish in a 29 and several of those fish get 4+ inches plus the two dragonets who will eventually Starve? I can understand a little overstocking but that’s just negligent…!overstockings one thing but not doing research and shoving fish in a tank because you need more fish is irresponsible. Upgrading later usually doesn’t happen imo. Not gonna comment further but that’s a lack of research right there. How olds the tank? You’re kidding when you say you’re gonna add 2 more fish right.

Back
Top Bottom