Overstock with more filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
My question is this, having seen many instances of people overstocking their tanks without water quality issues by adding more filtration.
I have a 55 gal planted tank.
I am currently running the following for filtration:
Aquatop CF-500 with UV.
Additionally I have a DIY Co2 diffuser which is nothing more than 4in pvc x 24in running in line on the intake from my tank. It is filled with bio media.

Current stock:
2 Angels
2 SAE
2 Mystery Snails
2 Nerite Snails
4 Serbai Cory
4 Peppered Cory
2 Bumblebee Guppies
8 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Blue Gourami.

Going by the sometimes suggested 1" per gallon rule (which I am neither here nor there on) that stock is good for roughly 55 gal.
I have never had a problem with water quality and do 30-50% water changes weekly.

My question is if I were to add an HOB filter to my current setup, what are your thoughts on adding more stock?

I am actually thinking of changing the current stock already. Here is what I am considering if the filters can handle it:

1 Blue Gourami
8 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Mystery Snail
2 Nerite Snails
2 SAE
2 Bumblebee Guppies
10 Bloodfin Tetra
10 Cardinal Tetra
10 Glowlight Tetra
10 Whitecloud Mountain Minnows
10 Amano Shrimp
1 Bushynose Pleco

Again going by the 1" by 1 gal rule,
That stock list equals a 90gal tank, or 35 gallons more than I have.
The Aquatop filter im currently running is rated for up to 100 gal, and I was considering a HOB rated for 70.

Sorry for the length.
I trust your opinions and am anxious to here your thoughts.
Im posting a pic. The giant hair grass has since been removed and I am considering other plants to add.
IMG_0209.jpg

Two things to be aware of with overstocking fish.

1. More bio-load, even if your filters can handle it means more frequent, larger water changes.
  2. An overstocked tank goes downhill fast when something goes wrong. A power outage doesn't have to last very long for an overstocked tank to get flooded with ammonia or run out of oxygen.

I am not an expert with many of those fish but your plan involves a lot of small aggressive eaters. I would be worried that some of them might struggle to get food.

With your future stocking plans you certainly will have a crowded tank but with the addition of a large hob filter like an A.C. 110 or the top marineland bio wheel filter (300?) It's certainly doable. I'll catch a little grief for this, but the 1 inch per gallon rule is not really valid. It's all about enough filtration and sufficient WC's. By the 1" rule all my tanks would be in extreme violation. They are all in great shape. Just don't add a pacu to your 55 gal. Good luck.

With your future stocking plans you certainly will have a crowded tank but with the addition of a large hob filter like an A.C. 110 or the top marineland bio wheel filter (300?) It's certainly doable. I'll catch a little grief for this, but the 1 inch per gallon rule is not really valid. It's all about enough filtration and sufficient WC's. By the 1" rule all my tanks would be in extreme violation. They are all in great shape. Just don't add a pacu to your 55 gal. Good luck.

A pacu? Isn't that a large piranha like fish?

Two things to be aware of with overstocking fish.

1. More bio-load, even if your filters can handle it means more frequent, larger water changes.
  2. An overstocked tank goes downhill fast when something goes wrong. A power outage doesn't have to last very long for an overstocked tank to get flooded with ammonia or run out of oxygen.

I am not an expert with many of those fish but your plan involves a lot of small aggressive eaters. I would be worried that some of them might struggle to get food.

That is a great point about the power outage possibility. I have been considering a battery backup for my filters and air pump. Sounds like I need to pull the trigger on that.
Also what are you referring to when you say frequent larger water changes? More than the current 30-50% weekly I am currently doing? If so, what are you thinking would be appropriate?

Back
Top Bottom