Dwarf seahorse tank equiptment, what do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthajean0x

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to start a 6 gallon saltwater tank for dwarf seahorses only. my only problem is, after much research and things, i dont exsactly know what kinda of stuff i need exsactly to get the thing start and running. if someone with a dwarf seahorse tank can just post everything they have in their tank that is necesary to be successful it would be greatly apreciated.

You do know how much work dwarf seahorse tanks are right? well you are going to need a low flow rate filter a small heatersand rock a light and something for them to latch on to. then a baby brine shrimp hatchery.

i know that i need a heater, and a filter, and a light and some plants, no live sand coral or rocks, i know they are hard work ive been reading alot for like a month now, but i just want to make sure that i have everything, everything i need. i went to petsmart today to ask, and i asked for a sponge filter, and the guy told me i needed a outside filter as well. but idk what that is. do i need one?

You also make sure you have a chiller, seahorse can't tolerate fluctuations in the temperature.

Im planing for a seahorse tank too. Im using a 3 gallon picotope. You can try a 6 gallon nanocube for starters. The best advice i can give is Research!Research!Research!

Can I try to dissuade you from going with Dwarves?

Try the regular size horses, they're easier to take care of and much more personable. The dwarves just kind of hang out and hardly acknowledge you. The regular size ones come up to be hand fed and seem to enjoy your company.

You also need to constantly be creating batches of enriched brine shrimp or similar live food for them. It starts to wear on you after awhile.

The regular horses that are captive bred are trained to eat frozen mysis, much less hassle.

Lastly, you have to wrap any intakes/filters/etc up because the dwarves will get sucked onto it and die.

This is from someone who had dwarves and switched back to regular-size seahorses when they finally lived out their lives. They were cool for awhile and I'm glad I did it but I won't do it again.

Im going to have to agree with Black96,
If you are just looking to own seahorses the common trend is to look towards Dwarfs because of the cost and size. Smaller tanks like that really need a constant attention because of the heat fluctuation Dwarfs should really only be attempted after you have had some experience with the special care needs of seahorses and are versed in their needs. You should look into saving up a bit and buying something like a 35 hex or something that is taller which you can have a pair of full size horses in.

Back
Top Bottom