fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joeeamer said:
Just as a separate idea please remember that if you have a hang on filter and you loose power the water in the filter/refugium will empty into the tank.

Might be something to think about before you set the level of the water to avoid overflowing

Thank you for bringing that up! I'll have to turn off the filter and see how how the water gets.

No worries. on my chi I had two marks in fine line sharpe.

The highest point I wanted water to go. Which was achieved by turning off filter.

And the fill line for water top ups and changes. Which was to fill to the top line and turn the filter on.

The only reason I raised it was in my tank it was about 4-5 cm difference between the two lines.

I forgot that I want a feather duster worm in my tank. Do they have light requirements? Do they filter feed or would I have to feed them? If they don't need a light can I add one as soon as the cycle is over? How do I go about placing it in the tank?

Also, while Im on the subject- do I need to wear special gloves when handling corals? I know some or maybe all corals can sting right? I've always wondered how you guys handle your corals.

Here's the pics of the live rock pieces I'm going to send you. One is pretty good size. Remember these rocks will def have to cycle once you get them so I would wait at least a week or 2 after you add them before you add corals.

Attachments

• image-1166442285.jpg
    image-1166442285.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image-727526027.jpg
    image-727526027.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 83
  • image-428550172.jpg
    image-428550172.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the photos! Those pieces look great! I understand the tank will still need to cycle. I've got 2 ppm ammonia right now and I took out the shrimp. I'm going to get a new hydrometer and thermometer on sunday and Monday so I can have the right salinity and temp before the rock arrives. I'm picking up 3 gallons of RO water today too since I have to get a bag of dog food anyway.

What do you think of the LED light I posted from amazon? The 12 inch one with 16x1 watt LEDs? Would that be strong enough light for a wide range of corals?

Bearchumjs said:
I forgot that I want a feather duster worm in my tank. Do they have light requirements? Do they filter feed or would I have to feed them? If they don't need a light can I add one as soon as the cycle is over? How do I go about placing it in the tank?

Also, while Im on the subject- do I need to wear special gloves when handling corals? I know some or maybe all corals can sting right? I've always wondered how you guys handle your corals.

Light is not really an issue for feather duster. It is dependent on catching plankton to eat. Supplemental feeding of phytoplankton and liquid organic foods should be provided. It also may be an idea to wait a little while to ensure there is stuff in the aquarium for it to eat!

I have a hawaiian feather duster and he is cool.

You can't really move it around once he is place as within hours it will attach to the rock/glass and will grow its tube by using floating bits or rock/ sand.

As for coral I don't wear gloves but I don't have anything that will sting so I'm not suitable to answer that really?!

:)

Joeeamer said:
Light is not really an issue for feather duster. It is dependent on catching plankton to eat. Supplemental feeding of phytoplankton and liquid organic foods should be provided. It also may be an idea to wait a little while to ensure there is stuff in the aquarium for it to eat!

I have a hawaiian feather duster and he is cool.

You can't really move it around once he is place as within hours it will attach to the rock/glass and will grow its tube by using floating bits or rock/ sand.

As for coral I don't wear gloves but I don't have anything that will sting so I'm not suitable to answer that really?!

:)

Copy that on waiting to get a feather duster.

I was just assuming all corals stung. I was wrong then! I'm going to have to research this.

Zoanthids have this thing call palytoxin? I'm pretty sure, sorry if I butchered the name. But if an accident occurs, you will definitely have to plan a trip to the hospital.

Austin.b said:
Zoanthids have this thing call palytoxin? I'm pretty sure, sorry if I butchered the name. But if an accident occurs, you will definitely have to plan a trip to the hospital.

Yeah... After reading articles for the last 5 minutes... I will always wear gloves... So what kind? The big yellow rubber ones that cleaning ladies use, or the kinds they use at drs offices?

Wearing gloves for these guys is kinda overkill IMO. Yes, the toxin will hurt...but this is easy enough to fix...don't rub your eyes after messing in your tank and put a bandaid over your cuts.

PS. Rubbing the toxin in your eyes is not a good enough excuse for missing work. I already thought that one out.

Sniperhank said:
Wearing gloves for these guys is kinda overkill IMO. Yes, the toxin will hurt...but this is easy enough to fix...don't rub your eyes after messing in your tank and put a bandaid over your cuts.

PS. Rubbing the toxin in your eyes is not a good enough excuse for missing work. I already thought that one out.

I agree with this. I have one and although know they have toxins they won't cause much harm. Different zoas have different toxins and some you have to worry about but generally the ones youll find at lfs are unlikely to cause much harm.

A good lfs should explain the way to handle each coral.

Joeeamer said:
I agree with this. I have one and although know they have toxins they won't cause much harm. Different zoas have different toxins and some you have to worry about but generally the ones youll find at lfs are unlikely to cause much harm.

A good lfs should explain the way to handle each coral.

I'm just going to ere on the side of safety. I doubt my petco will be able to educate me much. Better safe than sorry. I saw photos, read borrow stories. It'll just be my prerogative.

Don't take your shrimp out, keep your bacteria fed!

I use the yellow dishwashing kind, but they get water in them and are pretty inconvenient to use (can't feel very good with them). Next time I think of it I'm going to pick up a pox of non-powered disposable latex gloves. They are thinner and more skin tight. Wearing gloves is a great safety tool!

scottayy said:
Don't take your shrimp out, keep your bacteria fed!

I use the yellow dishwashing kind, but they get water in them and are pretty inconvenient to use (can't feel very good with them). Next time I think of it I'm going to pick up a pox of non-powered disposable latex gloves. They are thinner and more skin tight. Wearing gloves is a great safety tool!

I took it out for 2 reasons- a. I don't want a stink. B. I don't want my ammonia too high.

I've been cutting chunks off of it so I have more. I won't let my bacteria starve! Plus I'm getting live rock sometime next week, so I'm saving some shrimp to throw in when the rock comes in. After its cycled I'll get a fire shrimp and a snail. That will be enough to start and keep my bacteria alive, right?

Oh trust me there's enough bacteria on the live rock that I'm sending you. The rock will be out of water for possibly 3-4 days even though I'll package it as damp as I can. Even still there will be die-off.

Huffers said:
Oh trust me there's enough bacteria on the live rock that I'm sending you. The rock will be out of water for possibly 3-4 days even though I'll package it as damp as I can. Even still there will be die-off.

So it'll be a good idea to make sure I'm home the day it's to be delivered and I can put it straight in my tank, right?

Huffers said:

I figured there'd be bacteria- that's why I wanted some ammonia in my tank and that's why I am saving shrimp so that I can feed the bacteria if I need to before I buy livestock. I dunno- it makes sense in my head.

I'm still kinda shocked this tank is getting started. It sat empty on my end table for 3 months... I thought it'd never get started!

You don't have to be home immediately when it's delivered. It's not like fish or corals. But def the sooner it gets in your tank the better. I tested the water it was in earlier and everything looks good. By the time it gets to you it should have enough die off to keep your bacteria fed hence the reason why you won't be needing the shrimp anymore.

In preparation for my live rock I went out and got a replacement hydrometer since the other one got broken. I knew my water was off the charts salty! First test it was way too high. Second test a little better, 3rd test, after removing appx 8 cups of water and replacing it with RODI I have gotten this result. Do I need it higher or lower?

Back
Top Bottom