Goldfish or Clown fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm posting this in both fresh and saltwater forums because I want opinions from each side.

After my beautiful fantail goldie was murdered by my filter, I firmly decided that my 5g was a single-betta-tank, and nothing else.
But I've always been in love with fancy goldfish and after having one, I can't imagine NOT having one and would love to set up my empty 10g for a goldie. (And everyone who says you can't have a goldfish in anything smaller than a 20g doesn't know how to take care of fish. My perimeters were PERFECT in that 5g.)
However, my marine science teacher breeds all variations of clowns and I've fallen head over heels for her lovelies. After seeing house a happy pair in a 2g, I figured I could do it in a 10g. The awesome thing about this is that my fish pair, LR, and filter material to help establish the tank would all come from the same place. The same very HEALTHY and TRUSTWORTHY place.

Here's the problem: I only have one extra tank, and no room for another (as if my parents would let me get another, anyway). So now I'm completely torn in half; do I create a homey but lovely goldfish tank, or a unique and breathtaking nano reef with false perculas? There would be no established anemones is a tank that small, but I would have a fanworm and pompom crab, among other inverts.

Which do you suggest and why?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but just because your parameters are perfect, doesn't mean its healthy or good for a fish. I wouldn't do anything short of a 20g long, even then id be on the look out for a bigger tank. housing a pair of clowns in a 2g tank is horrible. they need ample room to swim and roam around. why not just pick up a 20g tank and atleast then they would have some room to swim around. not trying to tell you its impossible to do, or that water parameters cant be maintained, just that its not in the fishes best interest

Which do you suggest and why?

I might catch a Mod thumping for this one.....

I suggest that if this is how you're going to treat living creatures, put away your tanks & go do something else.....

Living in both the fresh & saltie worlds, and being into fish tanks for probably more than twice as long as you've been alive, there's a big difference between keeping "perfect" parameters and keeping a healthy, happy tank. I can toss a 10" Oscar into a 29 gallon and keep the parameters perfect, but do you think that fish is living out a good life????

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but just because your parameters are perfect, doesn't mean its healthy or good for a fish. I wouldn't do anything short of a 20g long, even then id be on the look out for a bigger tank. housing a pair of clowns in a 2g tank is horrible. they need ample room to swim and roam around. why not just pick up a 20g tank and atleast then they would have some room to swim around. not trying to tell you its impossible to do, or that water parameters cant be maintained, just that its not in the fishes best interest

I would, if I had the space for it! Right now I'm struggling to place my 50g somewhere. If I had the room for a fourth tank, I'd get it in a heartbeat and put some Endler's Livebearers in the 10g but my parents refuse to give me the space.

I said this in fw, but I am saying it again here too. Please do not post a question in 2 sections. You will get a lot of repeated info and people can get confused, and they don't know what you have already been told in the other section. So, since this is the sw section, let's please let this thread just deal with the clown fish question specifically. Thanks. :)

In a nutshell you cant keep clowns or even one clown in a 10g or less. If you have your heart set on sw then Id say get a goby or two (small ones) and stick with inverts for the rest.
All good points made above, so just think about it for a bit longer.

In a nutshell you cant keep clowns or even one clown in a 10g or less. If you have your heart set on sw then Id say get a goby or two (small ones) and stick with inverts for the rest.
All good points made above, so just think about it for a bit longer.
+1. I truthfully understand that its insanely easy to see a marine fish and just drop every last precaution you have to buy it (ive fallen victim to this myself) but this hobby isn't about what looks pretty or what the biggest wow factor is. its supposed to be about respectful and responsible husbandry. I can applaud you enthusiastic attitude, however I think your efforts would be best placed elsewhere. perhaps a fancy goldfish in a 10g would be a bit more suitable than a clownfish. but that's just my .02

Back
Top Bottom