help converting 15 gallon fresh into salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonkey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I have had a freshwater tank for a while now, and have found that I want something a little more challenging and more pretty than that. so Ive been thinking about converting it into a saltwater tank. I am thinking that I want a fish-only-with-live-rock (FOWLR) setup. For now;).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EQUIPMENT

What kind of lighting should I get? I am trying to chose between Normal Output Fluorescent lighting, Very High Output Fluorescent lighting, and Power Compact Fluorescent lights. I am more leaning towards the PC/VHO lighting instead of the NO lighting.

Do I really need a Powerhead? I read that I am supposed to turn the tank water over 15-20 times, but is it really neseccary, because I dont really like equipment sitting in the tank, taking up space?

What kind of salt do I need: Marine or Reef? What are the differences of the two? I have been looking at Seachems line of salt products, should i buy some Seachem salt?

What kind of live substrate should I use? I dont really want to use crushed coral because its messy, I would prefer sand. What is Argonite sand? would you recommend it? how deep should the sand be, 1 inch?

What kinds of test kits should I get? Is there an API master test kit for saltwater? What should i be testing for? What should the levels be at?

Should I get a sump or a canister filter? Which one is better? I was watching a video about how to make a diy sump, and I kinda like it, because I am all for using less money. I know that some of you are going to say: "because of your tank size, you should get a HOB filter". I just dont really like the visibility factor. its just sitting there, and you cant really hide it at all.

what is a protien skimmer? what does it do? would it be neseccary?Arent there two kinds, like HOB and in-sump?

FISH

What kinds of fish should I get? It would be nice if I could get some yellow or blue fish.

They cant grow very big (obviously).

thx for the help.

changing 15g fresh to salt

For the extra 40-60 dollars, go for atleast a 30 gallon tank. That size tank is very hard to maintain. Check local reef forums for cheap equipment. May i suggest this setup for 250. All good except for some aiptasia.
http://www.azfrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768 Very nice deal imo.

Powerheads are helpful but not necessary as long ad you have enough flow elsewhere.

Salt is different for any person you ask. I use instant ocean and reef crystals on my reef and they do fine.

Aragonite is the material they make the sand out of. It buffers the pH ( i think). It keeps waste from getting trapped and is full of places for bacteria. You can have the sand bed as deep or as thin as you want. If you do however, want to lower nitrate with a deep sand bed, 6" in minimum. Deep sand beds however are not necessary.

API does has a master kit. Test for ammonia, Nitrite and once cycled, nitrate. Also check pH. Calcium should be checked when you get stony corals.

Skip the canister and go for a sump/refugium and/or a protein skimmer and live rock. A protein skimmer removes excess food from the water and helps keep nitrate lower by leaving less food to decay.

Last edited:
One coment on the sand. "Argonite" is a gas. Aregonite is a calcium carbonate based sand. I don't normally get caught up in spelling, but these are two different animals so to speak

Aragonite^^^^^I don't normally get caught up in spelling, but these are two different animals so to speak

good catch...
img_995036_0_4a2f79a8bc51125a41994b1f11ca5198.gif

Hey guys. I've had a freshwater tank for a while now, and have found that I want something a little more challenging and more pretty than that. so Ive been thinking about converting it into a saltwater tank. I am thinking that I want a fish-only-with-live-rock (FOWLR) setup. For now:wink:.

EQUIPMENT

What kind of lighting should I get? I am trying to chose between Normal Output Fluorescent lighting, Very High Output Fluorescent lighting, and Power Compact Fluorescent lights. I am more leaning towards the PC/VHO lighting instead of the NO lighting. It's all a matter of what you prefer viewing your fish in for a FOWLR. If you plan on reefing later, you may want to look at the T5 option.

Do I really need a Powerhead? I read that I am supposed to turn the tank water over 15-20 times, but is it really neseccary, because I dont really like equipment sitting in the tank, taking up space?

Yes, IMO flow is your friend.

What kind of salt do I need: Marine or Reef? What are the differences of the two? I have been looking at Seachems line of salt products, should i buy some Seachem salt? Marine (cheapest IMO) for FOWLR. If you turn it into a reef and choose to keep corals, the trace elements in the salts may become a consideration.

What kind of live substrate should I use? I dont really want to use crushed coral because its messy, I would prefer sand. What is Argonite sand? would you recommend it? how deep should the sand be, 1 inch?

Aragonite sand is better than CC. 1 inch is very shallow, but would work for a fish only setup.

What kinds of test kits should I get? Is there an API master test kit for saltwater? What should i be testing for? What should the levels be at?

Yes there is. It will test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH. What should they be at? Read the stickies. (0,0,<20,8.0 - 8.6) roughly... You also need a good source of water (RODI) and a refractometer (or hydrometer if you must) to test salinity.

Should I get a sump or a canister filter? Which one is better? I was watching a video about how to make a diy sump, and I kinda like it, because I am all for using less money. I know that some of you are going to say: "because of your tank size, you should get a HOB filter". I just dont really like the visibility factor. its just sitting there, and you cant really hide it at all.

I personally would not start off with such an instable size of tank. Too much can go wrong too quickly in a 15. So yes, a sump for added volume would be good IMO.

what is a protien skimmer? what does it do? would it be neseccary?Arent there two kinds, like HOB and in-sump?

It removes organic compunds from the water. Again, you really need to read the stickies, articles, and basics of SW tank keeping.

FISH

What kinds of fish should I get? It would be nice if I could get some yellow or blue fish.

They cant grow very big (obviously).

In that sized tank, you are looking at one or two fish if stocked properly.

thx for the help.

Comments in red. Please read about cycling and start researching the differences between fresh and salt. Take it slow and research first and you'll be fine.

Okay so I took HN1's advice and I have recently been researching.

this is the list of things that I think I am going to need. Please correct or add anything that I am missing:

-Saltwater Master Test Kit (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)
-Hydrometer (until I get a refractometer)
-Digital Thermometer
-Live Sand
-Live Rock
-Air Pump and Accessories
-Salt
-Powerhead

Some fish that I have started to look at have been Clownfish. Would 2 be okay for my tank?

Please also help me figure out what fish to get too. Thank You.

Did you say you were going with a fish only with live rock setup?
If that's the case you don't need live sand and you could get away with a cannister filter. You might not even need a skimmer, you can control nitrates with water changes. All these come into play if you go with the reef setup and most people end up there. Power heads are nice, then again you don't need them in a fish only setup as long as your main filter has enough flow. You could even go with NO lights! PC lights for corals are lacking in enough penetration and thus T5's are a better option, but fish only is a matter of taste. Even Black lights would work if you like that sort of thing.

Did you say you were going with a fish only with live rock setup?
If that's the case you don't need live sand and you could get away with a cannister filter. You might not even need a skimmer, you can control nitrates with water changes. All these come into play if you go with the reef setup and most people end up there. Power heads are nice, then again you don't need them in a fish only setup as long as your main filter has enough flow. You could even go with NO lights! PC lights for corals are lacking in enough penetration and thus T5's are a better option, but fish only is a matter of taste. Even Black lights would work if you like that sort of thing.

Iam going with fish only with live rock, but I want some sand because I want to be able to switch to reef easily, and I have a freind who can supply me with live sand for really cheap. (can someone say $0.60 a pound? im not kidding.)

I think that for now, I would get some NO lights, but I am also going to get some lighting for any corals that I may be getting in the future (but I wont have them in the light fixture, I will just keep them stored for later when I switch to reef). I am thinking about T5's for coral lighting, like you said. I am also thinking about using VHO lighting for a little while and only having some easy inverts maybe.

for fish/inverts, I have come up with this basic list:
-Lemon Gobies, mainly
-Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs (at least two)
-Scarlet Hermit Crab
-Red Starfish
thats all I can come up with for now, but PLEASE suggest anything else. I am trying to make a tank with at least one of all the appropriate-for-me inverts (crab, starfish, shrimp, etc.). Oh, and I wouldnt be adding all that at the same time, I would add it all over time.

umm they're snails of the Astraea spp. they are also called: Astraea Star Snails, and Astraea Conehead Snails. sorry i saw them in a book and they called it a "top snail" so i figured it might be common.
Astraea Snail (Astraea tecta)

but since i see that you guys pretty much have no idea what im talking about, do YOU GUYS have any ideas?

um how about a tiger cowrie: Tiger Cowrie (Cypraea tigris)

If you are just starting out and plan in using the 15 gallon then go with a very small canister or a regular HOB filter, no skimmer needed. IMO get the cheapest lighting you can, even PC's would give you plenty of light penetration in a 15g. Salt is a matter of choice, you can't really go wrong. 2 clown fishg would be ok, and one goby. Throw in some top snails (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1755&pcatid=1755) , a few hermits and you're good to go. Def use sand over crushed coral.

There's a good starter package for a 15g.

Did that help?

O and stay away from starfish and the like until your tank is mature (6-8 months or so). The claim is they like mature tanks and stable water conditions. I didn't add mine till my tank was older so I can't speak to rather it is a wives tale or fact.

He said he was going to do fowlr thus no need for a filter. He also said he wanted to switch over to reef easily, so pc wouldn't work to well. As HN1 said T5 would be the best option with out spending an arm and a leg on metal halide. I would skip the crushed coral as it will just find it's way to the top anyway and become a nitrate factory. Everything else from your post I agree with.

Back
Top Bottom