i want to know what i'll need b4 i go and buy everything!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok. so i've decided to start a small nano tank. i was very inspired by kcandcritters nano tank, which she said is only a half gallon! so i've been doing a lot of research (which hasn't helped a whole lot because everyone has different opinions of what equipment is best, and so on) so i thought i'd see if you guys could help me out. I thought maybe if i told you what i had in mind, you could help direct me to what i need to achieve it. so here goes.

i want a small nano tank, really small, between 5 and 10 gal.
of course i'll need live rock
i think i'd also like to go with a SSB to give the live rock a hand in the dinitrifing - oh and what does "seeding the sandbed mean?"
if i'm doing live rock do i need a filter or a just a protien skimmer?
obviously a heater and lights
any lighting suggestions for a small tank?
and what type of corals would do well in this type of tank.
when it comes to fish, i don't know, i'd like a yellow goby or a fire fish
would they work ok in a tank this small?
what about hermits and snails?

i know that i've asked a lot of questions, but hey you guys love giving advice right? :D any comments or answers anyone can give will be much appreciated!

thanks in advace!

oh ps, i'm not planning on starting for a few months or so (cause obviously i dont know enough yet!)

seeding the sand bed is just adding sand from another reefers tank which should have worms ect.. in it !
that small of a tank id skip the skimmer and stock very light and do weekly water changes and you should be good !
as for light that depends on what ya like for corals imo but tank so small id stay with softies so pc would be ok !
firefish would be great !
a few snails and hermits would be good !

you will probably have a lot of water evaporation on that small of a tank so either stock up on r/o d/i water, or get one on ebay. as for the fish, i have no idea, but the hermit's and snails will be ok.

You don't need to have a protein skimmer if you are going to do weekly water changes to export the waste. Doing waterchanges will also import trace elements back into the tank. A rule of thumb is to have at least 1lb live rock per gallon for the natural filtration method to work good. I ran my 10g for over 1 1/2yrs without a skimmer. I would advise in getting a hang on back(HOB) filter so you can add floss and carbon when you need it. Also the added water circulation and oxygenation that the HOB provides is good.

A lot of corals will do good if you provide the light it needs. Depending on what kind of corals you like to keep would help determine the lighting that will suit you. If you see yourself going towards SPS corals, clams, and anemones I would get MH lights.

yellow goby or a fire fish would work in a nano tank. There are so many beautiful fishs out there so take your time to find one you like. Goby fishs are real popular in nano tanks due their looks and size.

Snails and hermit crabs are the top janitors in the clean-up crew. In the beginnings you just might need like 2 hermits and 4 snails, gotta make sure there is enough food to go around so only add more snails or hermits if needed.

Back
Top Bottom