It Was The Best Of Times It Was The Worst Of Times - Evolve8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyPenFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I couldn't come up with a clever title so I just plagiarized someone famous.

I picked one of these suckers up for $68 at Petsmart; last one they had. This is acrylic, eventually it's going to be a dwarf mantis tank - I think... I mean that's why I got acrylic.

The viewable area is 6.6 gallons and I think the total volume is 8 gallons. This seems about right. There is a refugium overflow area with two chambers. In the future, it would be dead simple to add a sump like some people have done. Even a klutz like me can drill acrylic.

For now though, I'm adding these parts:

AI Nano
inTank underwater Chaeto light
Hydor Flo
Maxi-Jet 900 (waiting for it to arrive, assuming it will fit)
Pico Evo-Mag + Hydor Flo
Hydor 50 Watt Mini-heater
2x 100ml Purigen bags
Seachem Matrix
Chaeto

The AI Nano is overkill but I imagine I'll be using this again so I decided to get the best available. I really like the programmability of this thing, something very hard to get for DIY. The stock light is actually surprisingly good, very bright.

I plan to get the included cover cut by a pro to have the middle area opened out. I want to run the cover on but don't want light blockage.

I've mostly cycled the tank and right now it's housing my two onyx/black occels and cleaner shrimp while my main 34g Solana is cycling. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to put in this tank yet. I originally got it for one of the smaller mantis shrimp but I'm rethinking it. I may just get a single clown and a bunch of anemones or ??.

Any thoughts on where to put the Chaeto? Chamber 1 in the overflow area or the larger chamber 2 area where the pump sits?

lYM10.jpg

rD78t.jpg

aVdiL.jpg

fmVRL.jpg

xFDni.jpg

YsO0B.jpg

Here's a full tank shot.

Keep in mind though, rock formation is not close to final. All 50lbs of my live rock doesn't come in until after New Years :(

I'm also using the light on a planted tank which is thriving from just 3-4 days with that light. The AI Nano doesn't come in for a few days either. :/

Attachments

• _DSC0937.jpg
    _DSC0937.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 105
Put the chaeto in the first section adjacent to where your return pump is located. This will ensure you don accidentally introduce algea spores into your main display. Set up your light underneath your algea and you should be good to go. I actually have this exact same setup and this is how I've done mine with great success. You'll want to upgrade your lighting if your going to have anemones or corals as the stock light is not sufficient for those animals. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom