JBJ 28g Nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is your cycle so fast :(

I have no idea. I've never had a tank show nitrates in 4 days, so about the only thing I can figure is the lfs had the rock in tubs of circulating water, not sitting out dry.... I'm guessing it probably had some BB already in it when it came home.

Phranque said:
I have no idea. I've never had a tank show nitrates in 4 days, so about the only thing I can figure is the lfs had the rock in tubs of circulating water, not sitting out dry.... I'm guessing it probably had some BB already in it when it came home.

I'm on 2 weeks and I'm getting my water tested to see if I have nitrites x.x

Day 9:

Ammo is down some more, and nitrites have shown their first significant drop :dance:

Nitrates are really climbing, though.... gonna take a significant system flush to get those down to zero.

45682-albums9262-picture39996.jpg

The system logged me out, so it broke the links to my album....

But, yes, I'm cycled. Just got done setting up the garbage can in front of the tank and filled it with RODI, salt, powerhead, heater, & airstone. I'll let it run until I get home from work tomorrow & do my first full system flush.

How'd your water check out? Sounds like you need to get your own test kit.

Did my total water change last night and let it circulate for a day before testing....

Temp - 79
pH - 8.0
Salinity - 1.026
Ammo - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0
Calcium - 460
Alk - 9dKH

These were all API tests (don't have magnesium yet). I have the Red Sea Algae and Reef Foundation test kits on the way (Nitrate & Phos / Cal, Alk, & Mag). Also got Coral Rx dip & calibration solution for the refractometer coming.

I'm still pinching myself..... I can't believe I'll be picking up my very first corals next week. This is almost like a bucket list item for me. Back when I was running FOWLR's, keeping corals was absolutely unheard of, and internet research didn't even exist yet.... All you had to go on was the wonderful advice of your LFS (yes, I had a yellow tang in a 55).

Anyway, I digress....... In the meantime, I'm running a 6 hour light cycle in hopes of getting my diatoms started.

45682-albums9262-picture40247.jpg

Ahhh... I did a freshwater fish-in last year before I learned about fishless, and it took over two months to complete. Keep plugging......though it seems like forever, it'll come around.

Finally..... I've got my first ever coral frags!! Picked them up yesterday afternoon, drip acclimated them for a couple of hours & gave them a little dip with Coral Rx..... Within two hours of being in the tank, everyone was wide open under the moonlights. Today they are getting 4 hours of daylight, and will bump that up by an hour every few days.

Zoas w/two different specimens (any definitive ID on these would be appreciated).
I dug through a few Zoa ID websites, and the closest I could come up with were Rainbow Eagle Eyes for the top ones and Atom Smashers for the bottom ones (hard to see in pic - green center/purple ring/yellow fingers):
45682-albums9262-picture40471.jpg

3 heads of green shrooms:
45682-albums9262-picture40470.jpg

Neon green star polyps - doesn't show too well in the pic, but the polyp centers & leaf stripes are bright green :
45682-albums9262-picture40469.jpg

Here's everybody's current placement in the tank (also added about 8lbs more rock to raise the rear for more placement locations - gives me about 30lbs total).... They're all wide open, and nobody's shriveled up.

45682-albums9262-picture40473.jpg

Another shot of the three plus the cavern structure:
45682-albums9262-picture40474.jpg

OK.... let's try this a different way.

Can you see these??

Attachments

• nano18.JPG
    nano18.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 85
  • nano19.JPG
    nano19.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 72