jgraz's SPS nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well my wife put the kbosh on my upcoming 75 build so my nano is coming early. This is gonna be a SPS lovers nano.
My plan is as follows:
DT-20gal high
Sump-10g or a 20H if I can fit
Glass holes super nano overflow
Glass holes 1/2" return
SICCE SYNCRA 1.0 return pump
Skimmer- either the Bubble Magus 3+ or 3.5 not sure yet if the cone design is worth the extra $40
I have 2 Koralia 425's for extra flow
Lighting- I have one of the 120w LED units that I may a 12"stunner strip with magenta/blue for added effect.

Did I miss anything? Feel free to offer any input, its all welcomed. I imagine i'll likely have to add a calcium reactor later because like I said I want this to be SPS central.
Thanks for looking
graz

Subscribed :) are you planning on adding any fish/inverts or is this a coral-only tank?

Subscribed :) are you planning on adding any fish/inverts or is this a coral-only tank?

Definatly, just not sure what fish yet. Inverts are gonna be the usual suspects, a variety of snails, hermits, probably one emerald crab, sHrimp but not sure which yet. As for fish its gonna be light. I really want a Catalina Goby Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Catalina Goby, but I never see them anywhere, not sure what else though. I really don't want the usual suspects though. As for coral the list is long and at the moment the grow tank is getting full. I'll get some pics of them up soon. I know I said SPS heavy but, it will have a good mix of zoos also. I pick up a 15Gal tank today from a local reefer so that may just be my sump but I really gotta check the size in the cabinet first. Thanks for the interest guys and any suggestions on the stock list let me know. Oh yeah I need some opinions on the skimmer before the group buy is over.

Nyte, just noticed your in Jersey, where you at.

Well scratch the catalina goby. I just actually read a bit on it and it like cooler water and that ain't gonna cut it in a reef. Guess thats why I don't see them much.

jgraz said:
Well scratch the catalina goby. I just actually read a bit on it and it like cooler water and that ain't gonna cut it in a reef. Guess thats why I don't see them much.

I would have a Catalina in my Biocube 29 if it wasn't a cold water fish. It's a shame.

I agree that zoas are very cool. Have you checked out mrcoral.com ? He usually has some good $10 zoa frags.

I have heard that the Tunze 9002 is the most quality nano skimmer out there. But it is $100+. I have one meant for a Biocube, and it is ok. For $30 it wasn't really worth it. If you keep up the PWCs then you will probably be fine in a lightly stocked 20 gallon without a skimmer.

I really stuck on a slightly oversized skimmer. Hopeing to be aggressive with it. With all the SPS im hopeing for im looking for perfect water. Plus if I ever need to go up some then the skimmer will still be good for me.

Cool you're close I goto chickie and pete's a lot on 130 my build just started but ill help out where I can if you need. I should have some cheato when you're ready for it. It'll grow out by then I believe.

Gonna subscribe too 2 reasons
1) fellow jersey guys (Randolph)
2) was thinking after my new project, my next project will be a nano

Ok opinions needed. I got my skimmer in the other day, a BM nac3.5, and my overflow, return, and return pump are on the way. Yesterday I was at a LFS and they were giving away 10G tank to the first 50 customers so I go t that too. Now I getting ready to build the sump and I have noticed an issue that I need help with. If my calculation are correct between the skimmer, return pump and baffles im gonna use about 13" of the 20" available in the 10G. Not sure If that remaining room filled about 9-10" high will be enough for an effective fuge. Im considering just cutting the fuge altogether and just having 2 sections in the sump. What does everyone think.

The 10 gal in that cabinet leaves NO room for an ATO tank. I dont mind filling daily but in a small space that might be risky. So I was considering in place of a fuge I could make the last compartment for an ATO storage.

Lighting: Originally I was planning on using an LED I have on hand. The light has 40blues and 15 whites 20K, running at 2watts each for 110 total watts. 60* optics.
Recently I came across an ATI sunpower 6-bulb only 4 months old that I can get for a great price so im considering that also.

What do you guys think about all this. Any and all opinions welcomed

What LFS did you goto?

I don't think you need an ATO if you just check as you walk by the tank everyday. I fill about 300 ml in my little 12G nanocube everyday. it's not a big deal to salinity change as long as you do it daily/twice a day depending on your schedlue.

the fuge size should be fine for some cheato and LR rubble at 7" wide & full tank height. you'll just have to have the majority of your LR in your DT.

fyi my cheato is growing like a weed lol it'll definitely be ready if you need any once you get this setup.

LFS: Allquatics, about 5 min away for me.

Thanks for the offer on the Cheato, I will take you up on the. Where are you located.
I think im gonna be good on everything this is gonna be my first go at plumbing and a sump so thats where most of my question will be. Is "just enough" room to fit things enough room in reality?

Ok here are some aquascapes I came up with. Opinions please.
img_1706342_0_661010932d14bfe24ba7767152d72688.jpg

img_1706342_1_861c3a7ef18eb088780ecbe13e0bc220.jpg

img_1706342_2_caf0f68a5a082a6b68a6f62397617768.jpg

img_1706342_3_c58c5b8884a9d4ab5e74bbfbde418674.jpg

My wife is likes the 3rd one. I like the 2nd and 4th

I like the first one there is a lot of surfaces to put frags on.

Back
Top Bottom