Kyles 29 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is it good or bad I've been told a lot about it but never that

It's bad.. It's an algae that signals that your nitrates and phosphates are likely high. Nitrates are poisonous to fish and corals. Phosphates aren't too good either.

Ok luckily that pic is about 2 months ago I got rid of most of it I can post some pics tomarrow when I get to my dads house.

fort384 said:
Cyano is not algae. It is bacteria. A clean up crew will not eat it.

It's actually both. They have chloroplasts. That's why a blackout will help, but it doesn't completely kill it.

Elykreefs97 said:
Really so what should I do to completely kill it

Water changes are what will kill it off mainly. There is a chemical way if treating it, but it is a last resort and in your case, I don't think it's necessary. Just do maybe 2 10% pwc a week for a while, in which you sift through the sand with a siphon.

fort384 said:
Increase flow, reduce nutrients, and consider erythromycin.

+1 the problem is probably lying somewhere else, which would mean less feeding or less livestock. Maybe your lighting schedule is too high as well.

needmorecowbell said:
It's actually both. They have chloroplasts. That's why a blackout will help, but it doesn't completely kill it.

It is classified as bacteria. There are chloroplasts but it isn't algae. Light does affect it because of this.

And I agree treat the other issues before medicating. But I have found medicating to be very effective if the other precursors are treated and it won't go away.

Last edited:
I lowerd my lighting scedule from 12 hours to 8 hours and my feeding is every other day. I can't vacuumed the stand eather I just scoop the sand up with a net and shake it until the bacteria is just left in it

Elykreefs97 said:
I lowerd my lighting scedule from 12 hours to 8 hours and my feeding is every other day. I can't vacuumed the stand eather I just scoop the sand up with a net and shake it until the bacteria is just left in it

But what's your water change schedule? Everything else you are doing right. And I am also a fan of the medication if all else fails, here's a time lapse video of mine. http://youtu.be/rJ9hFdQl0Y4

Can you tell me whet this is theres like 20 diferent ones I think they might be brittle starfish they haven't come all the way out. I think there are also tube worms.its the second pic.

Attachments

• image-2171862565.jpg
    image-2171862565.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1898025555.jpg
    image-1898025555.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 70
Can't really say for sure from the pics - looks like it could be sponges.

No they are like arms coming out the hole they are like brown and white

I have the same setup as you do.....and i have the eshopps overflow with a 1 inch overflow and a 3/4 inch return hooked up to a rio 1700 return pump and the flow perfects matches itself at a 4 1/2 foot head....never had a problem with power outage and overflow ....going on over a year now...good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom