Kyles 29 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first one I figured out we're brittle starfish but there's tons of them

Is this good for my sump the middle section is 8 inches. The clearance under the bubble trap is 1 inch.

Attachments

• image-1002888563.jpg
    image-1002888563.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 61
  • image-4197780507.jpg
    image-4197780507.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2931466533.jpg
    image-2931466533.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 57
Ok I think I already asked this but I'm really concerned about my return power what it should be I'm using 1 inch PVC

What is the height from the top of the tank to the bottom of the sump?

What is the flow rating of the overflow?

Well, that would be the only way to determine how large to size your return pump.

It might. But 500 gph at what head height? Head height makes a BIG difference.

It won't be another month until I set it up so I'll just ask then when I get the hight

Hey I'm not going to do a sump probley just a HOB filter for now. What do you think about this?

It might work out ok. Are you planning on using RODI water? My concern is you will end up with excess nitrate and might have trouble keeping coral.

Elykreefs97 said:
Hey I'm not going to do a sump probley just a HOB filter for now. What do you think about this?

I have a hob aqua clear on my 30g FOWLR and its worked out fine so far. Of course, i have no coral in there. Just rinse out the filter and media every week with the PWC. And get one that's rated for at least twice the size of the tank.

The difference here is with a reef tank, you necessarily must blast the water with light to sustain coral - which also does a heck of a job growing algae if there are excess nutrients in the system.

Ok I'm going to use a marineland hob filter. I'll probley put a dump in later on when I get corals. What size should I get the 50 75 or 90 gal max. one. Also is there any hob protien skimmers I could use for now.

Elykreefs97 said:
Ok I'm going to use a marineland hob filter. I'll probley put a dump in later on when I get corals. What size should I get the 50 75 or 90 gal max. one. Also is there any hob protien skimmers I could use for now.

I would go with the 75 or 90, probably the 90 since its gonna be a reef. On my 30, I have an AC 70 and AC 30(its actually there in case I need to use it for the QT tank.)

Ok and what should I put in it I was thinking some rubble rock and a sponge and what else?

I have a sponge, biomax and chemipure. I like the chemipure cuz it clears the water very well and removes odors from the water. But you can do whatever you like in it. I would recommend a sponge, though, cuz that'll trap the big pieces of stuff. Just rinse the sponge out well in old tank water at least once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom