Low pH high nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlB9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tested water today. After I noticed I lost a hermit. Ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm but my pH was a little low 7.8 and my nitrate are 10ppm (not sure if that's too high or not) what should I do? It's a 6 gal tank and I'm doing a 2 gal water change tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

Those numbers are fine, don't chase ph it's a waste if money, as long as it's stable your fine. As to the hermit do you have enough for them to eat in the tank?
Edit: and are you sure it's not a molt?

It's not a molt I've found the empty shell. So I'm down now to two of them left. Started with four and lost one a few months back. (That one May have been a molt)

Do you have extra shells for them? You may just have hermit wars going on, some of them are straight up serial killers just killing snails and other hermits left and right just to try out the shells.

I didn't know that. And no I don't have any extra shells I did leave the one empty one in there today.

That would be my guess, most lfs will give away empty shells so you can try that might help might not. If you notice one that is showing signs of aggression I would just grab him and take him to a store. I've had great success with the dwarf zebra hermits they stay small and never really go after my snails, occasionally they will fight amongst themselves.

I didn't know that. And no I don't have any extra shells I did leave the one empty one in there today.

Back
Top Bottom