Lunar Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

I have a 20gallon tank I am slowly setting up. Right now I have just a standard hood/florecent light. I really want that "Lunar" night light on my tank. I saw a setup at the lfs that had 2 small florecent lights in and and towards the back had 2 blue LED's and they said thats for the lunar lighting. It was about 170 bucks for the whole light fixture and I am not ready to spend that on lights. Maybe after this tank is a few months old and I start to think about corals but not right now lol... Its costing enough just getting it started a little at a time haha...

LR/LS/Test Kit/Salt/Hydrometer/PH/etc...

Is there an easy way to make a "Lunar" light system that will work with my hood/florecent system? On Another note - When I do want to make the step forward and I want some corals and what not do I really need almost 200 bucks in light on a 20gallon tank? I mean, if its necesary than so be it.. Just curious is all...

It looks nice, but states "for aquariums up to 24 inches in length" and "Dual mounting options - universal base with suction cup or track mount on Coralife Aqualight series light fixtures." so if you have a coralife fixture aqualight, you can put then in/on it.

Of course, this is JMO, but I don't think you should order the 1 watt moonlight. I use the Coralife 3/4 watt moonlights on my discus tank, and just as the manufacturer recommends, I placed the lights every 2 feet (2 lights on a 55 gallon). I was shocked at how bright they were! They really are MUCH brighter than the lunar lights that are built in to strip lights. Plus, a 20 high is a lot shorter than a 55 gallon, so the light would penetrate that much more. The track mount is pretty cool too- I use mine with the Coralife Aqualight.

I'll see if I can track down a link for you, as I ordered mine through work instead of an online retailer. 8)

I can't find any links for the lunar lights I have. If it were my tank, I'd go with this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12109&N=2004+113544
That's a good price IMO. The product info says that the moonlights built into the strip are 3/4 watt, and I'm assuming that the wattage of the strip would be 2x65W- plenty of light for a lot of species of corals.

My standard of comparison for my moonlights vs. the built-in ones (when I said that they weren't very bright) was a Current USA fixture, not the Coralife.

I have some lights that are avail for sale I have had them on my 10 , 7gmb and 2.5 gallon they all did well on those . I can say for a brighter light add an addtional light system to them . PM me as I would combine shipping and handling moons

For my 20 gallon I bought the Coralife Aqualight 24'' 130 watt fixture that has two 3/4 watt lunar lights in it and they are pretty bright, they would be fine with just one of them. I got this for $119 and I keep corals.

Is there a space between the top of your tank and the lights? I really like having the HOOD on it so you cant see the top of the water. I couldnt tell if that fixture setup on LEGS or on my existing hood. I really dont want there to be a gap between the lights and the tank..

Any thoughts?

Using a hood and cause pH problems as well as heat. I used to have a hood but like the look of the lights over the tank. I have some pics in my gallery. Now I have water all the way up to the rim.

With the hood I have the back 2" open where all the filters and everything are running. Is that not enough space for proper gas exchange?

It wasn't on my tank, I always had a pretty low pH. I tried using a buffer but couldn't keep it vary stable.

surjer said:
With the hood I have the back 2" open where all the filters and everything are running. Is that not enough space for proper gas exchange?
It may not be sufficent alone , why not add a couple fans in oposite directon for flow in and out that should be enough air flow for you :D

Hmm - I dont have a problem with pH right now with the hood on it. Are the higher powered lights all raised up like that?

No, you generally buy a set of adjustable mounting legs, at least if it is a Coralife fixture. They come in black and clear, and they attach to a track mount on the fixture. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
This is what I use for my discus tank. I like the look of having the light up off of the tank. And BTW, my pico is having some pH issues (presumably from the hood), and I have an opening in the back and always leave the feeding lid open. I agree with the others that you may run into some issues there.

Back
Top Bottom