more sand a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anotherfishname

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! I was wondering if I added more sand to my 24 gal nano cube will it adversely effect my reef? I started this tank in late January this year.

Attachments

• Tank_Shrunk.JPG
    Tank_Shrunk.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 61
As long as it is a dry version then no, it won't affect your reef. Make sure you rinse it well and let the sand settle if the tank clouds too much; You can always add more later.

I dont even think that the pre wetted "live" sand will hurt as long as you rinse it well.. If you do use dry try to pre wet it in some old tank water for a couple weeks before you use it you can punch holes in the bag to hold it in place or use a clean stocking to do this .. Use either distilled , RO/DI or old tank water will work old tank water would be my prefrence for this tho .. My point being this if it is dry when it goes in it will have more particals that float and can damage the impellers on PH, or filters (personal experince speaking here :) ) You still may get a small bloom of diatoms on the new sand but this will die out as well as it matures and becomes "live"

Ahhh, that sounds very good. I like the idea of soaking it first in my old tank water. Less particles in the tank is a nice thing. The goby and blenny do a good enough job with the particles that are in the now. Sometimes it's like a big snow globe. lol Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom