Moving house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottTheSnail

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I'm moving house soon (next week) and I'm just wondering what advice you would give to as on moving my 23litre marine nano tank with a common clown, yellowtail damsel, yellow clown goby, 1 snail, 1crab and a few nano corals eg: buttons, yellow polyps and two mushrooms..

Many thanks gang

I've moved large freshwater tanks , and the key to success is to get most of the weight out (obviously) and keep the temperature stable during the move. If your rocks aren't glued down really secure, I'd say transport them in a bucket separately. Drain at least half to 3/4 of the water and use that for the rock transport in a bucket. Good luck! Not sure the best way to handle corals but if they're firmly on the rock then I would keep them that way and just be extra careful. If on plugs just bury them into the sand firmly.

When I moved this is how I did it. (keep in mind I have a 46 gallon with 20 gallon sump so a little more work) first I made about 2/3rds the water I would need to do a complete fill at the new house. Then removed all my corals (about 75 at the time! Lol) into tupperwares with tank water. After that I began putting all my rock in buckets of tank water until I was left with just a few base rocks, sand, and enough water to keep the snails and hermits happy in the tank (about an inch). I took all my stuff over to the new house and began rebuilding and refilling. It may seem overwhelming but its not to difficult. Just try to NOT disturb your sand bed as much as possible during the move if the tank is older. You may see some spike too so keep enough water ready to do good size water changes at any time for the next couple weeks. Also, thought I would share something with you which may ease your mind a bit of losing corals. I have pulsing xenia attached to my spray bar that is out of the water when I turn off my return pump so from the second I switched my system off to when I had it up and running (4-5 hours) it sat outside the water with me just splashing some water on it from time to time with a wet paper towel and now that same colony of xenia is still thriving. Corals are a lot hardier then what most people expect.

Back
Top Bottom