Mr Aqua 25 gallon rimless cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a bit of progress this weekend! I picked up off white HDPE and built a AIO. It was cut easily with a jigsaw. I then used a torch to heat the place of adhesion and loctite plastic bonding system to stick the pieces together...so far so good!

My plan is to light the refugium chamber from the back so the white has a soft glow.

made a bit of progress this weekend! I picked up off white hdpe and built a aio. It was cut easily with a jigsaw. I then used a torch to heat the place of adhesion and loctite plastic bonding system to stick the pieces together...so far so good!

My plan is to light the refugium chamber from the back so the white has a soft glow.

image-162996281.jpg

image-3379180792.jpg

Aio secured in tank..

Base layer of sand down..

Picking up a used maxi1200 to use as the return from the aio to the tank for $15... This in conjunction with two koralias on a wave maker should provide plenty of flow.

Here is a quick shot

image-1119147231.jpg

Also just put a layer of black anti slip mat under the tank.

Moving it inside tomorrow night and starting the setup.

How is 10 gallons of new salt water mixed with 15 gallons from the old tank..

Should I let it run with 10 gallons and a few pieces of live rock from the existing tank for a few days then move my snails/crabs/clown over?

I do plan on seeding sand from the existing tank as well.

I added a strip of remote controlled RGB led's to the AIO.. This will serve as a night time ambient light when the lights dim for the night.

Will be on a timer to go off before bed time..but will give the tank a unique personality.

image-4061998864.jpg

image-2074965122.jpg

Still working to find the perfect position for the lighting, but here are two colors.

This tank will be located in our master bedroom so it needs to have a bit of the same modern feel..

This project has moved along a little more, about to break it all down and move it to the final spot in the house and then start cycling.

I was able to get the lighting up and running, I am using a 20watt led floodlight for now until I can save up to get a better led fixture.

I used a 2x2 to suspend the light and then built a box around it so help cut down on the light spreading around the room and to cover up the fixture.

image-507808339.jpg

image-1972818692.jpg

Well here it is! Water is settling still, but we are up and running.

image-16974435.jpg

A lot was learned on this build!

Once the water has cleared I will snap more pics of the DIY AIO, the stand and even the light hood.. Total cost of the build was under $160.00!

Tank -$20
Stand $50 in wood and stain
Plastic for DIY AIO $8
Misc sand, carbon etc.. $40
20W Led spotlight (temporary) $30

After my clownfish decided to jump out of the tank last night, I decided it would be best to make a screen for the top.. Made the frame and used regular screening for now (ordering the correct clear screen tonight) to keep everyone in.

image-1801550388.jpg

I think the screen will serve you well, mine is still open top after 2 1/2 years, but I have lost my share of carpet surfers.

So far so good, will give it a week before adding any other fish as the new clown is a bit larger than the one that went surfing.

Truly amazing. Well done sir. I have to say, for the budget you have built a fine tank out of the 25 cube. Keep the pics coming.....
I paid top dollar for my tank, fuge, and LED array and have had good success: but ultimately the only way to success has been innovation. Frag away my friend, and leave the fish for the birds.

Thank you! I am looking into a par38 led to wrap it all up for a while on the cheap.

I was afraid the AIO would take up too much space, however it isn't too intrusive. I only have it going about 16" across the back instead if the full 18", I find my fish make their way over there when the flow gets too crazy for them or to sleep (clown) there is still some flow over there, but it is not crazy.

I will be ordering a 10w led to light the fuge chamber in the AIO soon and will be setting that up over the next few weeks.

After a fight with ich...I decided it was time to set up a QT under the display. I used my old ac50 with a in tank media basket.

This is only a 6 gallon,do you think it will work ok for one fish at a time?

Tank is a tote from ikea
Picking up a 50w heater tonight.
Lighting is a strip of led's to keep the heat low.

What should I toss in my display to grab beneficial bacteria? I am currently running only chaeto algae, live rock (22lbs), a protein skimmer and 2000 gph of power heads/return pump from the AIO.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390010443.827582.jpgthanks, here is a full shot with the door open. Still deciding on a led..using a rgb 20w led spotlight now..keeping corals alive...but not growing..that's next!

Great looking setup. I just found a good deal on the same tank on CL. How's that AIO working out? Is it just a sheet of acrylic from a hardware store? Would you change the size of the chambers in the back now that it's been running awhile?

Tank is great! I would of reworked the AIO a bit..i would of gone full width with it and made the first chamber larger.

Back
Top Bottom