Nano skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverhawk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gal nano..was thinkin of putting in a skimmer..hob reef octopus ns80...any ideas,opinions..or just stick to weekly wc...:)

Weekly water changes are more than enough... If you are thinking of upgrading maybe you should look at a HOB refuge?

For a 10 gal I'd stick with water changes, protein skimmers are of more use with higher water quantities. Thinking of a bigger tank or upgrade? Are you having nitrate / nitrites or ammonia buildup?

Not that ive noticed in weekly testing..just thought would head off if problem arose.. I change 10% in both my tanks(5&10 gals) should i do more than this every week and do rinse on foams every other change and clean canister on my 10 every other week also...:)

If it ain't broke then don't fox it :p :) lol if you're water parameters are fine then just continue with what you're doing! Just keep testing you're water that's the best solution.

No skimmer needed. Your fine. You'd be surprised what weekly water changes will do. Can we see some pics?

Now keep in mind..i re-did this tank about a week ago..frogspawn and duncan have been in a week or less....also what would be a suggestion for compacted substrate(noticed when reworked tank..;( ) i got a new lite but had a bulb that i wanted to replace... Using my led( reef marineland)new fixture is a coralife that will have 2 10000k bulbs...i use a separate night light that is a deep blue acitinic..system is a fluval 105 with a hydor 240 nano pump..occupants r a fire shrimp and a 6 line wrasse...gave starry blenny to bro for algae control in his 29gal...

image-1099054689.jpg

Will try to get more later when everything is open..gsp is a beauty when all polyps open...ive had for 2yrs now....started as small little piece i glued to rock...

With led could i do sps?? Have had this tank up for 2yrs...allparams in sync..no ammo,trites,very low if any trates..sg1.025

Oh that's looks cool!!! Love the fire shrimp :)

Yeah I think you can try some easier to keep sps. You might have to research a bit on startup sps corals. I would suggest to start dosing calcium, iodine, magnesium and strontium.... These elements seem to deplete faster with dos corals in the tank...

Ive had "red"since startup... U can handfeed him easy...i use brightwell items..replenish,restor,code a&b....anyothers i need....these r for aminos calcium trace mins....

Now keep in mind..i re-did this tank about a week ago..frogspawn and duncan have been in a week or less....also what would be a suggestion for compacted substrate(noticed when reworked tank..;( ) i got a new lite but had a bulb that i wanted to replace... Using my led( reef marineland)new fixture is a coralife that will have 2 10000k bulbs...i use a separate night light that is a deep blue acitinic..system is a fluval 105 with a hydor 240 nano pump..occupants r a fire shrimp and a 6 line wrasse...gave starry blenny to bro for algae control in his 29gal...

Nice looking tank you have there.

A & B replenishes the elements pretty well but a lot of people still dose calcium and strontium.

Brightwell is awesome!!! I have tried a lot of varieties and that seems the best... If you are using brightwell then try and get the brightwell testkits cause aparantly using one brand to dose and another to test can give you inaccurate readings so I have heard...

I use api master kit.... I didnt know brightwell did test kits.. Ill have to see if i can find...

Thx for the compliment convict..itll get better as all grow in...have zoas,palys(?),frogspawn, duncan,unknown lps,and a gorgonian(doin really well..supriseingly!;) ) looking to try an easy sps... Tried 1x but tank was too young?? Oh,and my gsp rock( right corner)

Goin to see what my local shop has in way of beginner sps.....would do sun but they calling for f****** snow both sat and sun.... So to store today.... Mom wants to see too soooooo..;)calling for to start around dark...oh yeah :D ... And work sat and so does she...is it spring yet?? Gotta get my strontium too..follow directs on bottle...?

Tank looks good, most substrates will get compacted no matter what you do. Have any sand sifters? They may do the trick. Let us know what you get at the store :)

Back
Top Bottom