nano to 75 upgarade several questions need lots of input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g3750

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

O.k. several things my mind scatters so bear with me I have several questions some have answers others opinions.. I like both!

1. I have an established 20 gal Nano wich I must say has done AWESOME since the day I started it. ( 2.25 months ago. ) It is completely STUFFED with corals that are doing GREAT. Let me give you an equipment list that will help answer some questions that may be asked... this is what I have currently and what I will be moving to as well.......

a. I have a sealife wet/dry for a 150 gal tank, sealife skimmer, uv filter, 50lbs live rock, established live sand, overflow, LOTS of soft corals, and some hard, 2 clowns, on scooter bleny, misc. stars, crabs, and shrimp.

b. I'm moving to a All glass 75 with built in overflow ( just built the stand tonight.. with a supreme mag drive model 24 overflow, will be adding trhe following items shortly but, no in time for the move, refugium and natureef denitrifier with phos option. 2 250w MH 20k next week converting the 2 PC lights I have over to all actinic.
I will be utilizing all iems from above both A&B.

1. question: cycling...
When I set the tank up I will use the existing sand from 20 gal to the 75, as well as water and W/D. I will also be adding additional 100 lbs gulf rock. Should I set the tank up with new sand that will be required to fill the tank properly with new rock and new salt water 1st OR should I do all at one OR just move what I have from 20 gal over and just add more water? what kind of cycle or mini-cycle can I expect?

2. question: lighting... since I will be adding odviously more lighting that waht was there previously.. i.e. (1) 10000k daylight and (1) Actinic 03 PC light what measures will be required as far as aclimating the fish/ corals to tank?

3. ummmm I think that is it.... Those are my pressing issues weighing my miond. I just don't want to lose 1,200.00 in corals during this move the fish....well are cheap.

4. Oh!!!! Tank specs because someone will ask.... 48w*18d*20h :roll:

Put the new sand in first. Then add the sand from the 20 on top. Then add the gulf rock and let the rock cure. There may be some dieoff. Once your satisfied the dieoff is over or that there was none put the existing lR you have in the tank along with your corals and fish.

Slowly up the light time from say 8 hours a day to 12 hours a day over the course of 10-14 days.

Back
Top Bottom