new nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys im starting a 5g tank today, i will add some crushed coral substrate from my main tank, wich has been running for bout 3 months, do you think that this substrate could be alive now?(act like live sand for my new tank)?

also i want to make make it something like a mini reef for my desk, can this house something like a rolan damsel?
TIA guys!

The CC in your main display tank would effectively be live as far as bacteria. The fauna will greatly depend on if they where introduced via detrivor kit or LR. I would not suggest using CC in your nano though. You will end up with many water quality issues and due to the work space of a 5 gal a PITA. I would instead suggest using a good oolitic sand and then bundling up some of the CC in something porous like cheese clothe or the like where the fauna may work their way out but the CC will stay put and can be removed later.

rolan damsel
Could you post a link or scientific name? Have not heard of this one nor could I find a reference on the web. Most likely it will be too large and active for a 5 gal nano. What will be the primary filtration?

Cheers
Steve

i was actualy thinking of keeping the power filter i already have, i dont really have money to invest on that and i would still like having a tank on my desk, so you suggest i should use LS, where can i get some?

and the fish i meant is a:
Dascyllus melanurus
or a
Chrysiptera cyanea
or even a
Chrysyptera cyanea

maybe ill just go w/ some kewl inverts
neways thx in advance and the fast reply mon!

The power filter will work fine. My 5 gal has a simple HOB that works great. Just make sure you have the ability to do water changes at work as needed. You do not need LS if you use some of the CC from your main tank. Dry base sand and then some of your CC will do exactly the same thing as I described above and save you some money. You may also wish to opt for some LR as well and skip the CC seeding completely.

I would not suggest either of the two damsels above as they will get too large and a 5 gal tank will not really be suited for them. The mobile inverts would be a much better idea as long as you choose the right mix.

Cheers
Steve

thx for the answer man, do you think stores like home depot would have sand like i say in you guys tanks, not regular ugly sand, i would like sumthin like whits sand or even black
TIA

PS, I read that the third damsel i named only get 2inches long, wouldnt it be ok?

I doubt HD would have black sand but you should be fine if you can find a bagged "playsand" that is specifically for use with children. An aragonite sand will react with vinegar and fizz which is what would be prefered. Just be careful of sands that are meant for outdoor gardening use, they will cause alot of problems.

The problem in such a small tank is not just the adult size of the fish, it's also the activity of the fish. If your intent on a single fish, I would instead suggest a sharknose or neon goby. They do not require as much swimming room and stay <2".

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom