(New To Fishkeeping)New Biocube 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I apologize for my multiple past posts on this topic, but for Christmas, I finally got my very first tank! First of all, it is a Coralife Biocube 29 gallon which will be saltwater. This is my first tank, and if I can't maintain the saltwater setup, it will become fresh. Anyway, no offense to the freshies, but personally, if I am going to take part in the Fishkeeping hobby, I'm going to pay an extra couple of bucks(metaphorically. I am aware saltwater aquariums cost a lot more to maintain) and do it right. Today, I decided to do some research on aquarium maintaining, I realized that there is so much I don't know! The sumps, skimmers, filters, it's mind boggling! My first request is a review of saltwater reef maintenance, primarily for the Coralife 29G BioCube. Also, for this tank, would I need a heater? I was told that I would not, because the lights are VERY strong, but I would like some feedback.

Next, stocking fish! My current plan is possibly a yellow banded possum wrasse, two Ocellaris clowns, a hippo tang, and (possibly) a sort of Pygmy angelfish? I'm pretty sure that's way too overstocked, but the angel is give-or-take. I am pretty sure that everything is reef safe and compatible, but I was planning on doing most of my life stock research over the cycling period.

Next, inverts/cleaning crew! I have not done much research on this topic yet, but need a cleanup crew. I could use something that eats waste, parasites, and algae. (I know that nothing eats all of this, but a creature for each.) Then, probably a sand shifter, unless this interferes with my live rock and sand. And lastly, some decorative inverts, and inverts that do other cleaning, of which I have not mentioned above. I would prefer nothing that wrecks havoc. Also, blood (or fire, if you will) shrimp are absolutely adorable! If you have experience with them, please tell me a bit about them? Thanks in advance!

And, of course, corals. I have done a bit of research on this, but I do not have a flat out plan for them.

Welcome to the sw world! First off you will not need a sump or skimmer for the biocube. It comes with a back chamber that is your filtration. Secondly, stocking wise please don't put a hippo tang in there. They get huge and swim a lot. The clowns, wrasse and Pygmy cherub angel should be fine though.

Welcome I the Saltwater World

I think your stock is fine but you would have to sell the tang when it reaches 5" . I think you are on the right track for everything else.

The list is fine except for the tang,. there is no tang that can be safely put into a bicube. A blue hippo grows over a foot long and needs at least 6 feet to swim. I would strongly urge you not to even put a tiny one in your tank, they still do nothing but swim and need more than a foot and half or so. Like mentioned above the rest of the list looks good though.

I have a biocube and never ever would put a tang no matter what size into it. I keep mostly small happy types of fish in mine and really like the simplicity of the biocubes, perfect for the new person getting into saltwater/ :)

Thanks for all the help! On the hippo tang, I read that they could live well in a 30 gallon. Is this true?

Ah, I guess not. Instead of that tang, could I possibly do a flame angel, or any sort of hippo look-alike?

Ah, I guess not. Instead of that tang, could I possibly do a flame angel, or any sort of hippo look-alike?

A flame would get aggressive very quickly in that size tank. They wouldn't have enough swimming room. How about a watchman goby or a nice blenny. Your tank is quite small thus limiting options.

I have a fully stocked, maybe even overstocked 29g biocube. I have two clown gobies, two blennies, 2 clown fish and a mandarin. I also have a boatload of live rock taking up alot of space.
I would go with 2 clowns, a blenny and a goby. I would also add some shrimp and crabs in too. is would leave a good amount of space for corals too when your ready. :)

A flame would get aggressive very quickly in that size tank. They wouldn't have enough swimming room. How about a watchman goby or a nice blenny. Your tank is quite small thus limiting options.

Ah, thanks. I'm not too sure about what I'll get. My initial stocking plan thus far is either a bit of a crowded look with multiple small fish (not that many, but a few), or a few small guys and one larger fish that's a bit of an eye-catcher. My bio load might be too tough, though. I do like Bangai Cardinals and Pajama Cardinals, as a matter of fact. Maybe I could have, as an eye-catcher, a whitetail Pygmy, a coral beauty, or cherub angelfish? They'd probably be too aggressive, but I mean, they're minimum size is 30 gallons. Also, the coral beauty is reef safe, so that's a bonus! I love those humbug dascyllus, but they're quite aggressive. Or, I could have a flamented flasher wrasse,but I'm not sure if it will harm the other breed I want. Whoops, mind flop! I suddenly forgot the name.

I have a fully stocked, maybe even overstocked 29g biocube. I have two clown gobies, two blennies, 2 clown fish and a mandarin. I also have a boatload of live rock taking up alot of space.
I would go with 2 clowns, a blenny and a goby. I would also add some shrimp and crabs in too. is would leave a good amount of space for corals too when your ready. :)

Yeah, I was planning on a reef. I would love a mandarin some day, they're gorgeous fish! ;) Are they really as difficult to keep as I've heard?

Ah, thanks. I'm not too sure about what I'll get. My initial stocking plan thus far is either a bit of a crowded look with multiple small fish (not that many, but a few), or a few small guys and one larger fish that's a bit of an eye-catcher. My bio load might be too tough, though. I do like Bangai Cardinals and Pajama Cardinals, as a matter of fact. Maybe I could have, as an eye-catcher, a whitetail Pygmy, a coral beauty, or cherub angelfish? They'd probably be too aggressive, but I mean, they're minimum size is 30 gallons. Also, the coral beauty is reef safe, so that's a bonus! I love those humbug dascyllus, but they're quite aggressive. Or, I could have a flamented flasher wrasse,but I'm not sure if it will harm the other breed I want. Whoops, mind flop! I suddenly forgot the name.

Liveaquaria states 70 gallon minimum for a coral beauty and I agree. They are in the same genus with flames so similar temperaments and size. The biocube just Isn't long enough and no angel is 100% reef safe. The flasher also needs more horizontal space. Liveaquaria puts them at a 55 gallon minimum. Look into small fish that is really what your tank can have. Use liveaquaria to check fish minimum tank sizes

Liveaquaria states 70 gallon minimum for a coral beauty and I agree. They are in the same genus with flames so similar temperaments and size. The biocube just Isn't long enough and no angel is 100% reef safe. The flasher also needs more horizontal space. Liveaquaria puts them at a 55 gallon minimum. Look into small fish that is really what your tank can have. Use liveaquaria to check fish minimum tank sizes

Mm. Alright. Are there any small, flashy fish that are a bit bigger and reef safe that you can recommend?

Mandarins are indeed a very very difficult fish. I wouldnt think of even trying one unless you are ready for alot of work and expense.

How about a Midas blenny? They are beautiful and get a little larger.

Ooh, I like those! Just googled 'em. They are very nice looking. Have you had any experience with them?

Mandarins are indeed a very very difficult fish. I wouldnt think of even trying one unless you are ready for alot of work and expense.

Ah. It must pay off in the end, though. :)
Any way, have you ever heard of a puffer being reef safe? This just popped up on my mind.

Long nose Hawkfish are very nice looking, but would eat all of my small fish and shrimp, so that's a no.

Pretty much unless your thinking of a blue caribbean. BUT there is not a tang in existence that I know of that can go in a 29g tank. Thats just not realistic.

Oh. I didn't realize that a "hippo tang" was just another name for a blue tang. Silly me :D Well, this just changed a lot. Okay. My stocking, fish wise, is almost taken care of. Now, I'm mainly focusing on tank maintenance. Carey, for your Biocube, how did you set it up/maintain it? Silly question, with many answers. I apologize for that. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom