Newbie: JBJ 12 gallon nano build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have been having a decent month bought my first coral. "watermelon" zoa which has a feather duster on it. And the other weekend I found a asternia star on the live rock. I have no clue where it came from.

You would be surprised of what tags along with frags and live rock. That one reason people prefer to purchase base rock then during the cycle it will become live. There are no tag alongs with which you may or may not want.

He prob went right into your live rock and just grew until he couldn't fit in his little hiding spot anymore. I got an almost 7 inch bristle worm one time on a little tiny frag and didn't even see him until he was sliding into my rock from the frag. Crazy

Nice! I wonder what's going to pop up next. Hopefully not any parasite.

I have a question. My frag is still on the plug. I am thinking about using a razor and cutting it off from the bottom. Will the frag survive out of the water if so for how long?

ahoDMV said:
Nice! I wonder what's going to pop up next. Hopefully not any parasite.

I have a question. My frag is still on the plug. I am thinking about using a razor and cutting it off from the bottom. Will the frag survive out of the water if so for how long?

I would just cut the plug off and leave the rest. I took wire cutters and cut all around the frag so I still had something to put glue on to hold it where I wanted it. It will be fine out of water for 5-7 min. Sponges can't be out ever but corals can. They will retract and cover them selves in a slim

Is there a specific glue I need to get? I'm still trying to decide where is a good spot to put the zoas and feather duster.

ahoDMV said:
Is there a specific glue I need to get? I'm still trying to decide where is a good spot to put the zoas and feather duster.

You can use super glue as long as its the GEL kind. That's what I use. I take the frag out and pat the bottom dry with a paper towel. Put a blob of gel am wait like 10 sec then I put it in the tank and hold it were I want it for like 20-30 sec. It will cure under water.

ahoDMV said:

Clear gel superglue with a base of cynoacrolate. I buy 3 tubes for a dollar at the local dollar general.

Do any of you guys have any lighting suggestions ? I current have two fluorescent 24watt and I don't think it's enough light for the coral. I'm looking for something that is simple to put on and will allow me to keep the hood on my tank.

For propagation i am assuming the answer to that is yes. It's exactly what I use. It will set a soon as it hits the water so just be aware and make sure you're ready for it. My bro glued a drag to his thumb, funny now but not so funny then. We had a squirter too so that just made it worse lol!

Lol. I found one of my zoa heads on my filter floss. And I had to leave it there until I got the super glue but it ended up getting sucked into my water pump and out into the tank.

I thought I glued the wrong part down but luckily I didn't. Good thing it's started to open slowly.its
Gone through a lot today lol

Nice, yeah those stragglers are sometime the hardest to deal with. Never knowing which end to glue down sucks!

Back
Top Bottom