newbie to Reefing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xexe12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started My Reef Oct 2011. It was my birthday gift.:brows:
I have a 29G Biocube. I took out the biocubes and put live rock. I read somewhere that they were nitrate factories.
Components:

about 25 lbs. live rock
oceanic protein skimmer
about 30 lbs. live sand
Coralia circulator.
Ordered Ecoxotic actinic stunner lights (not yet in)

Livestock:
1 clown fish
1 yellowtail damsel
4 snails
anemone (which the clown adores)
corals (1 toadstool, 1 colt coral, 1 carnation, 1 flowerpot, 1 brain, 3 floridia)

I'm thinking of adding 1 Randall's pistol shrimp and 1 Blackray shrimp goby in a month or so.
also thinking of maybe upgrading my skimmer. The oceanic seems too small for the tank......I think.....I may be wrong :blink:

I welcome any advice you give a newbie like me. Its very much appreciated!!!!!

Welcome! What kind of anemone do you have?

On another note, do you have any pictures of your tank? :)

Here are the only pics I have to far. :)

Attachments

• image-905203439.jpg
    image-905203439.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3891406732.jpg
    image-3891406732.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 150
And by the way, I forgot to ask, Is my circulator enough or do I need to get a powerhead? Thanks!

Has your tank even cycled yet ? If not all of your livestock is in serious trouble. Also, nems usually need a tank that's been running a year and with strong lighting.

The tank is actually cycled. I didn't know the anemone has to be in a tank already running 1 yr.... Yikes. Hope it fares well. Don't want I break my clown's heart :(. Not much I an do now but watch his tank closely......

Tank looks great! I think everything looks healthy. Doing a good job. From what I've read about on here, not being sw myself, people say you dont necessarily need a skimmer, so I'm sure yours is ok unless you want to upgrade it which wouldn't do any harm at all. People will correct me of I'm wrong. Think it looks great tho, (y)

Very pretty tank!

I have a 29g cube and don't run a skimmer but I do weekly water changes which is good enough. :) If you have one powerhead already I dont see that you need another one. If you have any "dead" spots where the water isnt moving then you can easily adjust the one that you have.

Thanks a lot guys for your help and support. I do partial water change weekly and I'm trying chemi- pure and purigen for extra filtration. Just gotta watch the tank more closely for now. Praying all will keep on going

image-4178320010.jpg

Just an update. Got a barnacle blenny complete with his very own barnacle. Having algae problem for now. No ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. My my ph and alkalinity a little but high and added actinic stunner lights. Any advice greatly appreciated.

xexe12 said:
Just an update. Got a barnacle blenny complete with his very own barnacle. Having algae problem for now. No ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. My my ph and alkalinity a little but high and added actinic stunner lights. Any advice greatly appreciated.

0 nitrates? Sure? How did you cycle the tank?

I brought the water to my LFS for testing yesterday and that's what they said. Tank has been set up for a 2 months now. Some of my live rock and sand came from my friends old 14 G reef tank.

xexe12 said:
I brought the water to my LFS for testing yesterday and that's what they said. Tank has been set up for a 2 months now. Some of my live rock and sand came from my friends old 14 G reef tank.

You really should get your own testing kit. It's important to know what's happening. It's just unusual to have 0 nitrates.

Blenny is adorable, I have one as well! I also bought the barnacles like you did and he really seems to like it. :)

Thanks Dave I really should. I just have ph and alkalinity test kit for now. For now I just bring my water to my LFS for testing until i get one. @ Carey thanks. They are really cute fishes as well as entertaining.

Thanks! The only big one I have that looks like a small plate is the toadstool.

Back
Top Bottom