Is my setup right for starting a nano reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I have the right setup for a nano reef in my tank? I have a standard 10 gallon tank. I am filtering with a small HOB filter (Top Fin 10), and providing flow with an AquaClear 30 powerhead. My tank bottom is crushed coral. I am lighting wiith a 5 watt LILYS LED clip light. I have a plastic cover glass. My skimmer just broke and I am currently trying to DIY a new one. I wouldn't add corals without a good skimmer. I do have some hair algae but that is starting to lessen off slightly and I am cleaning the tank more often. I have about 4 lbs. live rock and 6 or 7 lbs. used-to-be-dry rock plus some dead coral skeletons that I am pretty sure could be considered 'live'. My specific gravity is about 1.024 and my nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia are negligible. My pH is about 8.0. My tanks is stocked with 1 Percula clown, 1 peppermint shrimp, some saltwater hermit crabs (red legs and blue legs). Tank system has been running for about 2 or 3 years and appears to be quite mature with spirorbid worms and copepods. What do you think?

Last edited:
I’d ditch the cover for better co2 exchange...but besides not being a crushed coral fan it sounds ok? Not really sure what you are looking for.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah unfortunately the light said not to use it unless you had a cover glass. Thanks for the info, I was hoping my tank was ready! I don't know too much about corals, what are the best and easiest types to try in a nano? Also,why don't you like crushed coral/think coral sand is a better substrate? Just wondering if you had a problem with crushed coral I should try to prevent or if its an aesthetic thing.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
crushed coral is like tiny razor blades it will cut up sand dwellers rather quickly ,
crushed coral will trap debris where sand won't , sand is also easier to keep clean.

Oh. How difficult would it be to switch to sand at this stage? Not planning on getting corals until early next year if then, so there is time to get the sand cycled if necessary. Here is my aquarium light:
The package says it is 5 watts. White light, 200 lumens.

It's possible to switch substrate. Just takes lots of digging with a cup and some PVC to pour sand in. I wouldn't be too concerned about that currently.
If you are looking towards coral, that light won't support them. Those are pretty much to please the eyes. With this being a 10 gallon tank, I'd toss a PAR38 bulb over the tank and call it a day so you can support photosynthetic corals.

Back
Top Bottom