Oceanic Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the grand opening of a new LFS last night that carries only SW stuff. The store and the tanks are pretty amazing, but that is another thread (www.saltwaterempire.com). Any hoo...I won an oceanic protein skimmer in a raffle so I thought I would give it a go in my 12gal JBJ Nanocube. It is pretty "old school" as far of technology goes. It uses a simple air pump and a wood air stone to create the micro bubbles that bind to the DOCs. I just put it in my tank and will see what happens. I will try to keep you posted on the results.

Attachments

• aquarium 041 585x438.jpg
    aquarium 041 585x438.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 105
  • aquarium 046 585x438.jpg
    aquarium 046 585x438.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 100
  • aquarium 048 585x438.jpg
    aquarium 048 585x438.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 97
Hey Bud!

Very cool. I am going to put in the exact tank you have (JBJ 12 gallon) in my house the next couple of weeks so I appreciate the pics. Not to change the subject any, but are you happy with the JBJ setup? Looks like I can pick up the tank and the stand from Drs. Foster & Smith for around $200 shipped. Not bad!!

Curious to see how that small skimmer performs on such a small tank. Might not get too much foam production if you are running GAC and doing PWC's regularly for since it was free, what the heck... ;)

I like my JBJ anano deluxe. However, since I got this over three years ago, there have been several similar "all-in-one" models from various manufactures. IMHO, six of one half dozen of another. They all are very similar in terms of filtration. They all need additional flow added for a reef application and all need to stop including things like sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings for the filtration compartments. JBJ has a cool new 28gal with integrated 150watt MH hood and skimmer. It looks pretty cool.

How has the Oceanic Skimmer been working for you?

I was interested in purchasing one, but the air stone kinda turned me off.

You know...I have been very pleased with it. I do bi-weekly water changes in my nano and the skimmer is still managing to find DOC to skim. I am surprised at how well it actually works.

Good to see you again Brian!

There is nothing better than a free protein skimmer that actually does a great job. :D

Regards,

Mike

Hey Mike! Welcome back...I was wondering what the heck happened to you. Stick around, eh?

Thanks Brian! I relocated from Phoenix to Texas, and took a while to get things going here. My tank has been up and running for 8 months strong now, so that's a plus. It's good to chat with you again. I promise, I won't go anywhere. ;)

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom