Ocellaris clowns in a 12 gallon cube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could I keep either 1 or 2 ocellaris clowns in my 12 gallon cube, my dimensions are 13x13x15 inches approximately.

I have before with no problem. But that would be the only fish you keep in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do those dimensions include the rear chamber or is that the display? IMO no, that's pretty small in terms of a footprint, and clowns can be pretty active.

That's just the display. Also, my live rock isn't in a very tall pile so there is a fair amount of swimming room at the top of the tank

You could definitely get a couple fish, but I'd look into gobies/blennies that either perch/hang out on the rock work, or sand bed. Not much room for open water swimmers in smaller cubes honestly.

I read other forums that said a clown would be fine. Also they said that breeders use 10 gallon tanks for 2 and I only have one. I'm planning on setting up a 40 gallon tank soon as well. If I've made a huge mistake then I can take it back.

Well even though I disagree with keeping then in a 10 it has a better footprint. You have a 3-4 inch fish in a 13 inch square, at least a 10 offers almost 2 feet of swim space. And my lfs has told me I could keep a yellow tang in a 20 long no problem, they'll tell you what ever it takes to get a sale.

I do have a spare 10 gallon that I could transfer everything to to increase the tanks footprint. I was planning on using it as a sump for the tank in the future anyway.

The extra length would be a good thing. I have a couple sets of clowns and a single in my 90g and while they do tend to stay in a corner most of the time, I have had clowns that like to swim back and forth too. I had several pairs that really liked to ride the water flow from the return jet. So much so that I lost 3 pairs as they caught a wave right out of the tank. :-( I now have netting on top of the tanks. :) So they can be jumpers if the conditions are right.

So should I use the longer tank? Only thing is my lid won't fit. I'll have to make a lid before I do switch the tanks. Also, could I use my 13" cube as a sump? Any design ideas would be great :)

The 13inch cube probably wouldnt make such a great sump. You need a few inches for the return pump, a few inches for the input with a filter sock and then whatever is left over for the skimmer. From my experience most skimmers are about 6 inches wide so it would be an awful tight fit, if it does all fit. :-(

What size are you planning on going up to? Like what tank size would you be wanting a sump for?

It was going to be for the 10 gallon just to up the total volume a bit. If I just had the bare essentials in the sump, heater, maybe a nano skimmer and return and outflow and filter sock it might fit. I'll research what I'm going to get and see if it fits

Back
Top Bottom