Pics of skilter modified with limewood airstone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is how I made my skilter a very, very effective fitler/skimmer for my 10 gal nano reef.

You drill a small hle, then by twisting a pocket knife blade down in the hole, you slowly make the hole bigger, until it is the right size that you can thread the plastic piece that comes with the airstone through it...put a little silicone around it to make it leak proof.

If you want, you can put a 35mm film canister around the airstone, to help prevent bubble from leaving the chamber, but the filter media prevents all bubbles from returning to the main anyway.

I also use a hagen surface skimmer to skim the surface of the tank....my tank is totally protein free!

The pic is self explainitory.....the reaction chamber goes over top of the airstone, and wa-la!

Sorry for the quality!
P7290576.jpg

FWIW......with this setup I have had an extremely effective filter and skimmer, and I would reccomend this setup to anyone with a nano tank. Cheap, easy, EFFECTIVE!

My first protein skimmer was a skilter, I hated that thing its sitting somewhere in the shed right now. I may be making a 20 gallon reef in the future and with your advice at hand I may have the courage to modify my skilter.

I am sure you hated it because it was very loud and ineffective!

It is next to silent(if you have a quiet pump) and far more effective!

i am still confused as to what is going on in the picture, if you could post an all encompassing shot of the skilter on the tank, sorry i am a newbie but am looking for some cheap innovative ways to maximize things, thx, peace

The white peice you see is actually under the filter, on the outside. It is then screwed into the drilled hole, and then the limewood is screwed on.

The tube goes over the airstone, and you connect an air pump to the white peice.

Back
Top Bottom