Quarantine TAnk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theyoungaquariest

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an extra ten gallon tank lying around and i was wondering if it would be worth turning into a quarantine tank. What would I need to turn it into one? All i got is the tank....thanks!!!!:D

Always worthwhile. A heater and sponge filter or small hob filter (AquaClear 20/mini) is all that is needed for basics. Eggcrate would help keep fish from jumping and pvc for them to hide in.

To keep the fish from jumping out. It`s the light diffuser they use in flourecent lighting in buildings.

The gas exchange (O/CO2) takes place at the surface of the water. A covered tank doesn't allow enouhg room air to mix with the water at the surface and blow off CO2 while adding oxygen. That why you want to have an uncovered tank with a rippled surface. The eggcrate allows you keep the tank uncovered. If the hood allows good air exchange then you don't need the eggcrate.

Alright....thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would I have to add live rock and cycle the tank like you would your normal tank???

Ok so I am going to set the tank up as my quarantene tank but how do acclimate the fish (or inverts)
from the quarantene tank to the main tank?

Either by drip method or once quarantine is over you can perform water changes with your display water until parameters match (usually 50% water change/day for 2 days does the trick).

Back
Top Bottom