Scott's 4 gallon pico reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scottayy said:
Is there a lot of light spillage from the par38 or does it direct most of it downward?

It illuminates the whole tank, and a little of end table. Here's a picture I took the other night.

Attachments

• image-2880050041.jpg
    image-2880050041.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 194
So my bulb comes tomorrow. I'm excited to play with a light technology I've never actually seen before. I've seen everything else. Never seen a par38 bulb.

Okay guys I have SUCH exciting news!

My bulb came. Not only that, they sent me TWO! I only got charged for one.. the packing slip only says one but there are TWO. How lucky could a guy get? A $62 bulb for free.

Secondly, the bulb is awesome. Controlling it with the remote control is awesome.

Thirdly, I found a starfish in my tank. It must've came off of the rock I put in from my 55 gallon but I've never seen it there either. I'm pretty sure it's just an asterina star but it is still very cool!

Pics later.

Okay guys I have SUCH exciting news!

My bulb came. Not only that, they sent me TWO! I only got charged for one.. the packing slip only says one but there are TWO. How lucky could a guy get? A $62 bulb for free.

Secondly, the bulb is awesome. Controlling it with the remote control is awesome.

Thirdly, I found a starfish in my tank. It must've came off of the rock I put in from my 55 gallon but I've never seen it there either. I'm pretty sure it's just an asterina star but it is still very cool!

Pics later.

VERY COOL, can't wait to see pictures!

Here's the bulb in action and the asterina star I found.

img_2124603_0_d84894cf4de019f4778268979c871430.jpg

img_2124603_1_0a58324d38cb919af4bb8fabf40dd60c.jpg

.25 ammonia, .25 nitrite
Just about cycled.

img_2124729_0_09111e2f9bc9092fe27558cd1f31cf77.jpg

As soon as I get 0 readings I'm going to remove the big piece of live rock I put in there and put in another silverside and make sure my rocks that are going to stay in there are seeded well.

EDIT| lol not the best picture of the tube colors with the bright new light in the background

The light looks awesome!! And it's exciting that your cycle is almost over! It's moving right along. What's the first thing you will put in?

I've never had an emerald crab before, so maybe!

I tested 0 ammonia and nitrite. So I took out the piece of live rock that I was using to seed the base rock with and I will let these guys catch up to the ammonia load. I'll test in a few days and see if I'm ready to start adding stuff!

It's so pretty. The camera doesn't do it justice.

img_2131941_0_ca942a7671af98d0c9e944e91b88da17.jpg

img_2131941_1_430047fcfaf715c97542399329b607d5.jpg

I do have a few problems to work out though.

scottayy said:

I tested 0 ammonia and nitrite. So I took out the piece of live rock that I was using to seed the base rock with and I will let these guys catch up to the ammonia load. I'll test in a few days and see if I'm ready to start adding stuff!

Wow! Looks amazing!!!

Thank you! Now I'll have to work on keeping my desk area clean so I can see it, lol.

scottayy said:

It looks beautiful!

What kind of problems you having? I'm a pro at pico reefs so I should totally be able to help you.

(Hahaha! Yeah... Me... A pro? Not hardly! Still want to know what's going on though!)

The tank is looking fabulous Scott!! :) This tank is coming along quickly! So now that you've had time to research your fish options, what ya thinking you're gonna put in it??!! Now the REALLY exciting part is here!!!!! :)

Bearchumjs said:
It looks beautiful!

What kind of problems you having? I'm a pro at pico reefs so I should totally be able to help you.

(Hahaha! Yeah... Me... A pro? Not hardly! Still want to know what's going on though!)

BTW, I'm with expert Jen: wanna know what are the problems you're having??

Couple big problems

1st is heat. my bedroom is small, my computer and me put off heat, even with the weather cooling the tank is never really under 82 degrees. usually at around 84 which is good for the cycle

2nd is stray voltage. i got a multimeter for my main tank and i tested this tank just to see and it's at 25v.. which is the equivalent of all of my equipment in my 55 gallon tank (which is really high!). I just have to see what the culprit is on this tank. it can only be the heater or the pump.

3rd is rockscape. i think i'm going to add a third piece of similar sized rock inbetween the two pieces to kinda go up to the top haha. this one is easy

and i still haven't thought about stocking
i pretty much know what can go in it and what my options are so i'll probably just pick something out at the lfs when i'm ready

scottayy said:
Couple big problems

1st is heat. my bedroom is small, my computer and me put off heat, even with the weather cooling the tank is never really under 82 degrees. usually at around 84 which is good for the cycle

2nd is stray voltage. i got a multimeter for my main tank and i tested this tank just to see and it's at 25v.. which is the equivalent of all of my equipment in my 55 gallon tank (which is really high!). I just have to see what the culprit is on this tank. it can only be the heater or the pump.

3rd is rockscape. i think i'm going to add a third piece of similar sized rock inbetween the two pieces to kinda go up to the top haha. this one is easy

I'd take out the heater first and see what that does. Obviously you don't need it ATM.

Can't wait to see what you do with more rock!

And as for stocking- I think going to the LFS to see what they have is fun. Probably more fun than knowing exactly what you are going to get. plus it keeps you from being disappointed if they don't have what you want. My problem is the knowledge... I don't know enough to be able to go buy something I see yet.

I just set up an evolve 4 this week. Glad to see others using it too. It's a great little tank and I cannot wait to start adding corals. I was just going to chime in on your stocking plans I am currently thinking of no fish because I'm unsure what they may do to water quality in such a tiny tank. If I got a fish it would be a green clown goby. I am thinking of just having 4 sexy shrimp and nothing else but coral. What are some of your thoughts? Maybe you mentioned it but what kind of corals are you going to use?

Couple big problems

I don't think you should ad more rock. 1 you will lose more water volume and 2 you will have less room for corals!

Stray voltage is easy to figure out. Remove your heater and see if there's still a problem.

Doesn't your room cool off at night? I know mine does but maybe it doesn't where you live idk. I wouldn't remove the heater ecause it shouldn't be on if it's unneeded.

Back
Top Bottom