Scott's 4 gallon pico reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beengirl said:
Okay, I've been up all night at work and I'm pretty tired, so forgive my stupidity. But what's the straw/sponge thing for? I got kinda lost on that one. Is it gonna be an airstone kinda thing? To use for cleaning? Just asking cuz who knows- maybe I want one too!! Lol

It's for cleaning the inside glass. His tank is acrylic so he doesn't want to risk the mag float scratching the inside of the tank.

Bearchumjs said:
It's for cleaning the inside glass. His tank is acrylic so he doesn't want to risk the mag float scratching the inside of the tank.

Ah. That makes perfect sense! :) good job on the rigging, MacGyver. (Does anyone even remember that reference?!)

Man, I don't think I can get fish today. My digital thermometer came and I am at 88.7. I don't know how to get this down. Can't really put a fan on it.

Man, I don't think I can get fish today. My digital thermometer came and I am at 88.7. I don't know how to get this down. Can't really put a fan on it.

got to have a fan on the tank man mine was getting up to 86 now with a fan it sits right at 78.8

Heres what I did so you can have an idea. I went to shopko and picked up some little clamp fan for 6$ and clamped it to my light. it gets the job done and i figure ill keep my eye out for a good hang on fan.
img_2144017_0_3ddab87be9e663df1a5580aaf769b7a5.jpg

Zoo med makes one but seems to be sold out on every site.
theres also this one that i read mixed reviews about its noise.

I don't think I can.. I have to have a lid for jumpers (if that's what I decide to get). I'm using ice cubes in a baggy right now just to get the fish, then tonight I'm going to put a window AC unit in.

I don't think I can.. I have to have a lid for jumpers (if that's what I decide to get). I'm using ice cubes in a baggy right now just to get the fish, then tonight I'm going to put a window AC unit in.

your light will heat up your water quite a bit. your water will be fine if you just have the fan blow across the top even with the lid because it will help keep the LED cool.

Congrats that your cycled now! I bet mixing 3 gallons was a real hassle lol! Good luck cooling the tank off!

Can you position the light so it's higher from the top of the tank? How high up is it now? Mines about 8 inches from the lid. 10 inches from the water surface.

I got it about 8 inches right now. I have a little mini fan blowing across the top of the water temporarily until I figure something out.

I was bad..

I couldn't resist the purple firefish. Rated for 10 gallons :( I'll just do two pwc per week. So I got him.

I'm also going to get a green clown goby they had in. Way overstocking. I feel guilty but this is my pleasure tank.

I also picked up a neon green caulestra, some zoas, and two mushrooms.

I had my sister acclimate and the water level got below the filter intake and now my pump's not working. I hope it comes back on. Unplugged it for a bit.

Pump's dead.

Guess who has a spare 237gph pump with ball valve the fits in his fish stuff? Me! Better flow and adjustable.. hooking it up now.

your pump on your evolve 4 died? you are having some bad luck with this tank. how the heck did you have an extra one sitting around.

Scott's fish tank equipment store! It's got everything you need!

Congrats on getting your living creatures! I hope you post pics soon!

haha yeah I have had bad luck but i've been able to fix everything.

I have spare pumps because I used to have a 10 gallon with a sump (bad, bad project). So I have a 237gph pump and a mag drive 1.9. I don't quite recall where the mag drive is.

Will post pics tomorrow.

haha yeah I have had bad luck but i've been able to fix everything.

I have spare pumps because I used to have a 10 gallon with a sump (bad, bad project). So I have a 237gph pump and a mag drive 1.9. I don't quite recall where the mag drive is.

Will post pics tomorrow.

oh yeah i remember the 10g build thread. That didnt turn out well? i thought it would work just fine.

Pictures as promised!

Neon green candy cane coral. I asked this guy if these were dyed. He said no, it's a natural coral. If so, that is awesome.
img_2144998_0_bb350cab6589d4344211be6df46972f8.jpg

Two green striped mushrooms ($3 a piece!):
img_2144998_1_695c2a7cd6079a1147802d320857c216.jpg

And some red and grayish-blue zoa's:
img_2144998_2_eb55fb4de9b6e9b5c29d4c03440c68ae.jpg

Full tank shot as of now:
img_2144998_3_17d5cddd9b8306e66a58763e6cfbbb7c.jpg

Notes: My purple firefish is still hiding, so no pictures until he comes out. I'm seeing some diatoms. The fan cooled my tank to 80.1 (8 degrees difference!). I'm hoping the firefish doesn't jump out with the lid off until I figure something out.

O my gosh! The corals look great! That candy cane is so bright! I want your zoas!

About the lid- even though it will probably look bad can you tape some window screen over the top while you try and figure out your temperature issue?

Thank you guys!! I am happy with them and they look very happy so far. Might do the window screen, I am not sure yet. This guy is still in hiding lol so no risk of jumping yet.

Back
Top Bottom